[OT] Google Wants to Use AI to Cut the UK's Electric Bill by 10 Percent

The same groups do tend to have all their ads at the same time. Like, say, those owned by ITV. Or CH5. Could make for less work with their automated playout systems.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes they're different, many will be watching (and skipping breaks?) on catchup, but what I meant was that when the ads come on on e.g. Quest, if you flick over to Quest+1 they will have synchronised ad breaks, presumably to dissuade people from channel surfing during breaks?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think it's deliberate to stop you avoiding ads by trying several channels ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yeah more watch eastenders that doesnlt have a break :-)

Next world cup as the penanlties are being taken doubt many would accept oh we ned to reduce power so put the adverts on will be acceptable. Anyway I put the kettle on during the ads, so eliminating ads would mean I don't make tea ;-)

But in reality I pause live TV then go make tea come back and FF through the ads so not sure whether this method will save the country any electricity it's more like to make us use more.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I thought such things were already availble not off the shelf but can be built to order, a mile from me is a place that makes electric gates few places locally have such a thing.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I've got a TV in the kitchen too - so no need to miss anything. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Pause it a few minutes before the ads and put the kettle on, then it won't be such a big peak.

I virtually never watch live TV, its all recorded and watched when I feel like it.

Once you have the ability to record whatever you like then you watch less cr@p and no adverts.

Reply to
dennis

I've got a PVR that manages that perfectly adequately

tim

Reply to
tim...

I've got a kitchen in my living room

much simpler :-)

tim

Reply to
tim...

What if you want to go for a shit is there a TV in the toilet too. Surely having a TV in every room you are likely to be in would mean more electic usuage rather than less, but at least you could watch the ads when taking a shit. ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

It will be if everyone does it. But why pause it when you're watching it ?

Me too, I still haven't watched the 1966 world cup england-germany but I've seen the highlights.

It still records the adverts, in fact a couple of times I've purposefully recorded the ads. rather than the program.

Reply to
whisky-dave

They have a TV in the local kebab shop so I don't even need to cook :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Electric curtains have been around for at least 50 years. Easiest way was a motor unit which worked with any corded track.

There (was) a firm in Croydon who made them - called PowerCord. Used what looked like a couple of gramophone turntable motors and a custom made gearbox. They also made larger units for theatre etc curtains.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you need to go for a shit every ad break, give up on the home made beer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A friend said he made his own by using an old sony VCR as the control. Sound duibious to me even if you could gear down the motors. But it was remote controlled.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Mine works from an ordinary two way switched circuit. Fixed switching - with the switch(s) in a sensible position means you don't have to search for the remote control. I'm surprised a VCR motor had enough grunt.

Mine is in the bedroom, and it's nice to open the curtains in the morning before getting out of bed, on a sunny day.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've avoided ads since 1991 when I got my second VCR.

Reply to
Max Demian

I used to work an industry using lots of computer clusters. Unfortunately, those datacentres were located in cities such as Houston, Singapore, Perth, Cairo where air conditioning became a big expense.

Reply to
116e32s