[OT] Google Wants to Use AI to Cut the UK's Electric Bill by 10 Percent

We had that 10 years ago in the lecture rooms. I think it was too difficult to get the lecturers to switch off the lights after they left the room.

I used to timer delay switch on by a couple of hours until E7 kicked in I gave up on it as it didn't seem to save anything .

switches off the radiator when a window is left open,

A reaserch project here was looking into doing that on server farms switching off processors and slowing done none critical tasks.

checks for strikes on southern rail would be one method. ;-)

This is where IoT would help on knowing yuor train is cancllled use the app on the phone to delay the central heating coming on for a couple of hours etc.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Most processors already do that, my laptop slows down from 3GHz to

800MHz when it's not busy, much to the relief of my ear'oles as the fan is noisy when it's at full chat.

Let alone research, that feature is live on VMware clusters now. It can push more idle virtual machines onto fewer physical machines during quiet periods, then power down some of the physical servers (not just the processor, the whole server); later as the remaining physical servers get busier again it can power on more physical servers and spread the virtual machines out over them.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Been here years. DSS had it in their offices in Lytham. Trouble was in the afternoons when everyone was asleep at their desks it kept switching off the lights thinking the room was empty.

Reply to
bert

That used to happen to a colleague of mine in Glasgow. If you rang him on a winter's afternoon he stayed sufficiently still for the sensors to think he wasn't there.

Reply to
charles

My TV sometimes does that. I have to wave at it for the picture to come back on.

Reply to
Max Demian

It's a link that goes in via Google News. As far as I can make out it you have hit your page limit but search for the title on Google News the link takes you to the page.

What I don't know is it gets taken from any remaining pages. But if you have no pages it will get you in.

Reply to
Andrew May

Yes it's been done badly, thus no-one has it at home. Except Rod. Hopefully it'll get done well enough & cheaply enough that we all have it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Such devices were installed in the dressing rooms and meeting room at our theatre (late 1990s), but they seemed to come on at random. I found the manufacturer's instructionsa which said "fit on ceiling, to avoid getting false signalling through windows". Naturally, they been fitted on the walls in full view of the windows. When fitted in the correct place they worked well - except when the occupant stayed still for too long.

Reply to
charles

A lot of NTL headends had it. The trouble was that when I was doing upgrade work in the early hours of the morning, there was nobody else there and, inevitably, I was always halfway along the row of racks and completely invisible to the sensors.

The trick was to note the subtle change in lighting as the lights in the areas between me and the door switched off, then nip to end of the rack and down the room and back again to give all the sensors another kick, then start work again!

Reply to
Terry Casey

I wonder how they would work with security lights and those that come on a dusk. Most peole that I know don;t like their homes to be left in darkness when t hey are not there so the lights are switched on at night when they are on h oliday.

But would we use it, that is the point. Surely it's at the stage where it c an be in most offices but if yuo look at commercial towers in large cities all the lights are on. You only have to see a few night shots of the office s in carnery wharf amonst other places.

Reply to
whisky-dave

...and Matrica

Reply to
jrwalliker

they are not there so the lights are switched on at night when they are on holiday.

hence it will keep lights on where externally visible for security

we all have it.

can be in most offices but if yuo look at commercial towers in large citie s all the lights are on. You only have to see a few night shots of the offi ces in carnery wharf amonst other places.

Someone really should lend you a brain.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com explained :

I have it in one room, the utility, where we often walk in and out with arms too full to operate a light switch, or the door gets closed leaving the light on forgotten. No other room in the house would benefit.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

We have one light on a solar clock - 9w LED, which is just left to get on with it and several more bright ones which are remotely controlled.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I have an energy egg that senses room occupancy and switches stuff on and off. Got as a play thing in the Amazon sale for £8, currently about four times that. Works well for xmas lights. Still looking for a problem for it to solve.

Reply to
dennis

en they are not there so the lights are switched on at night when they are on holiday.

So will only keep lights on where they are windows so won't save much will it.

t we all have it.

it can be in most offices but if yuo look at commercial towers in large cit ies all the lights are on. You only have to see a few night shots of the of fices in carnery wharf amonst other places.

Have a better one of my own thanks, what's yuor problem. You do realsie that the city (as in EC ) ends about 5 on a friday, even som e of teh local pubs are closed on a saturday because there's no one about . So why leave all the lights on , why note have them all switched on and off at certain times but that might require IoT something that few peole see a ny advantage in.

Reply to
whisky-dave

So I'm guessing you wouldn't want or need a detector to turn that LED off when you aren't in that room. What is the advantage of having remortly controlled bright ones ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

whisky-dave formulated on Wednesday :

It is not a room light, it gives some permanent light to the very dark drive.

It was a matter of avoiding running cables to switches and disturbing decoration. It is quite dark around here and we have a large garden, backing onto nothingness, which is a slight security risk. I have three lights lighting that up, fed from a single socket upstairs. I use a wireless remote control socket, the remote control is kept in the living room.

I set that up after we had prowlers a few years ago.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Why do you need a light there anyway ? I sometimes put the kitchen light on so my cat can see her food.

So is this a manual remote or does it dectect movemtment and switch the lights on.

Reply to
whisky-dave

whisky-dave submitted this idea :

For making our way to the bins, the hut, the garage and as a deterrent.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield