OT: Free/cheap web hosting

No reason at all - until they complain that it doesnt fulfil their needs

And expect other people to supply them with a zero cost solution when the easy solution is to buy a bit of proper shared hosting.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

123 - Essential ===============

The features you need to make your first personal or community website a success, for an incredibly cheap price. Only £1.00 pm for the 1st year Then £3.49 per month

Included domains 1 Websites 1 Web space 10GB Bandwidth Unlimited MySQL Databases 1 x 500MB

ftp access

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can't really complain at that price, but I get the feeling for a lot of "club" websites, someone doesn't mind shelling out £10 every two years from their own pocket to register a domain, but they do baulk at £50/year for the whole lot, at which point it's probably best financed by the club itself ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

They don't currently seem to be doing renewals for existing customers at the price.

Seems as if everyone is doing a "free" year if you switch to them on a

2 year deal. ok not serious messing around but messing around anyhow.
Reply to
AnthonyL

Depends what you mean by "proper". It's free, with no ads, very easy for a non-techie to edit, and like other free website builders (Wix, Wordpress etc) it's shared at some level. Obviously no-one offers free virtual / dedicated servers with full admin rights.

Reply to
Reentrant

I know how to do all that but, as I said if you bothered to read my original post, having done so for years I now have to hand over control to someone who doesn't. They are just a handful of retired volunteers who help look after a piece of downland with a negligible budget.

Reply to
Reentrant

Thanks for nothing. At the moment with Penguin Internet we pay £8.50 a year for hosting and £4.75 a year for the .org.uk domain name.

But the little old lady who volunteered to be my successor, and who can just about manage emails, isn't going to cope with cPanel aliases and domain forwarding.

Reply to
Reentrant

Yes, and at £50 each year questions come up at the AGM as to why we spend this much. I'm sure WordPress meets most of the requirements for club sites. Lots of help and support on their website too. WhatsApp might meet many of the requirements too.

Reply to
mechanic

That £3.49 includes 1 domain registration

So it's < £50 a year.

My feeling being if the club cannot afford that, they cannot afford and do not need a website

And will likely spend more than that on postage alone for a single annual newsletter posted to the members...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, I saw that

But then HMRC want their 20%, I doubt that any club that's quibbling about £50 is going to be VAT registered to claim it back.

Yes, probably

Reply to
Andy Burns

But then they won't be paying 20% VAT on their income either.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Not sure if you're still referring to my piggybacked post, but what club? I never mentioned a club. It's maybe half a dozen volunteer pensioners who record bird, wildflower and insect statistics on a field.

Reply to
Reentrant

well get a grant from the EU then

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

true, but I was referring to 123reg adding the 20%, making the price (just) over £50, which will happen regardless of whether the club is VAT registered ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

club, gang, friends, organisation, whatever ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

The point is that that is te sort of min. price for hosting on a shared site. If tou want YOUER domain name not someone elses.

AS far as mainetnace goes, well once set up te teckky shit stays working. DNS etc. etc. and apache configs

All the 'members' have to do is upload new data, and that either means some piece of shit CMS like wordpress or joomla with all te massive insecurity that entails, or someone to construct a simple web page with a password to allow them to alter it all via a custom designed form or two.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If members have little interest in paying for or maintaining a website for public consumption, would it not make sense to coordinate their activities through a facebook page? (Other social networking sites are available.) As a bonus, this can remain public if they wish.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Then they'll get refuseniks like me complaining I need an FB account ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sincy Tiny B Liar the world seems full of people who expect the world to be different from the way it actually is, refuse to make the effort to either adapt to it or change it, and complain bitterly when someone points out that it isn't and vote Labour in the vain hope that magic really works.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher