example building control plans ?

I wish to draw my own house extension plans for building control. Can anyone point to some example plans that I can view, in order to discern the various conventions used ? Using the wrong squiggles may raise eyebrows somewhere. Thanks, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

It might be an idea to go along to your council and take a look at submitted plans. They'll even make some copies if you ask them!

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews

You have a right to see other people's plans which have been deposited for Planning Permission purposes - not sure whether the same thing applies to Building Control - ask your local council.

In any event, if you produce a first draft of your plans, and discuss them informally with a BCO you will get some helpful advice as to what they're looking for.

Reply to
Set Square

Just been down the town. They said building control - not a public document, you can't see them. And I do have a friend BCO. But, I want to know the conventions - some I have picked up like a triple line for a roof ridge on a plan view, dot-dash for floor joists etc. That's the stuff I need to know.

Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I've had the same problem; planning permission = no problem, building control = no chance (this is from the same desk clerk in the same office). Doesn't make a lot of sense to me!

David

Reply to
Lobster

AFAIK They have to release them under the FOI Act!

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Well, they quoted the data protection act at me!

Reply to
Lobster

I suggest you ask them for access under the FOI. The DPA is often quoted glibly as an all purpose excuse when in fact it does not apply. If the persist ask them exactly what clause of which Act prevents them from releasing it. I would be most interested to hear their answer!

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Mm, might just try that next time I have a need (I'm not the OP here - it was several months ago when I was trying to find out something).

But it's interesting that two councils here (unless the OP happens to be in the same town as me!) seem to be enforce a rule that planning permission is fair game, but building control isn't.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Isn't that because the public is allowed to object to planning applications - and must therefore be allowed to see them? On the other hand, AIUI, building regs applications are between the applicant and the BCOs - with the public not having a role.

Reply to
Set Square

You may well be right, but I'm not sure the FOI Act applies because Building Regs drawings are not public documents, whereas planning drawings have to be made available for public inspection under the T&CP Act.

The reason I was given why Councils don't allow inspection of Building Regs drawings is the Copyright Act. While this rightly prevents anyone from making copies (except in special circumstances by the Applicant or his Agent), you would think (well, I did) that it doesn't legally prevent Councils from allowing someone to simply look at them, but they don't accept that argument. It's a pity because old records can often be very useful, such as tracing covered manholes for example, but on the other hand there are lots of times I wouldn't want the public to see certain details on my drawings (e.g. security arrangements), so overall I'm happy with things the way they are.

I have couple of PDF files of working drawings I could upload somewhere for people to look at. How do I do that? I've never uploaded anything before.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 16:42:32 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named Lobster randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

OK, imagine the situation. Your friendly neighbourhood burglar or stalker wants to know the quickest way into the east wing of Lobster Mansion. Would you be happy that the Council has to let him see the floor plans?

Planning plans don't _have_to have floor plans. If the application was submitted to an Approved Inspector (NHBC) the Council won't have a set of plans. If it was submitted on a Building Notice there won't be plans with it.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

In message , Peter Taylor writes

I assume you have some web space included with your ISP account (not necessarily a safe assumption nowadays, I don't have any with my main ISP for instance)?

You need to use an FTP program to upload the files. Internet Explorer can do this.

Check with your ISP (should be in whatever reg details you have, or on their website) what the format for the FTP address for your web space would be, the password etc. is.

Type the FTP address into IE, it should prompt you for the user name and password, enter them and you should be connected. Drag over your pdf files and let them upload.

Get the web url for the files (again see the isp details)

post it here.

If you don't have web space then there are free web space providers around.

Alternatively , look for someone else to host it. I could probably stick them up somewhere.

Reply to
chris French

etc

Thanks Chris! Success. I remembered afterwards that somebody set up a website for me ages ago, but I've never known how to use it and I can't access the pages he made. There are some pics and stuff there I think. Anyway, I made a new folder for the drawings.

here's the URL

Peter Taylor

Whilst the copyright undoubtedly comes into it the fact remains that unless specifically exempted all council papers are available under the FOI. I am not a copyright expert but there are fair use provisions and it would be worth asking in in uk.legal.moderated to see if someone there can provide more information.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

I've been lurking ... now I'll study your drawings.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Coventry. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Wow, nice house. Just had to say it. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Thanks Simon, not mine though :(

This was a tiny job for a friend of a friend. I chose it to upload because all the construction information is on just one sheet. Drawing 1 was originally the Planning application with a little more detail added for Building Control. Drawing 3 is the Location and Block Plans, used for both applications, and Drawing 2 is the construction detail for the Building Regs application, which is probably more what you need. There's a general floor plan, a foundation/drainage plan, a roof plan and a section. These give all the construction information that Building Control (and the Builder) would require for this particular project, but yours could well be different so you'll need to think about it carefully.

I just realised these drawings are preliminary copies but I think they give you the info you need, except the text construction notes are missing on Drawing 2. I'm searching for the finished article and I'll upload it if I can find it.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

The council requests for Full Plans Application :- A. Two copies of the detailed drawings of the proposed building work to scale of not less than 1:100. B. Two copies of a site or location plan drawn to a scale of not less than 1:1250 which shows the proposal, site boundaries, and the position of public sewers. C. Two copies of any specification which accompanies the drawings. D. Two copies of structural design and calculations. E. The completed application form, estimate of cost of work and the appropriate fee. I don't know exactly what D. includes, but could be struct calcs, ventilation, U values etc. I don't want to employ a structural engineer for such a simple project, but I dunno what is required here to satisfy building control. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson