Home building plans question

Hi-

I have a question regarding home design plans that I need some assistance with-

I have found a home design that I would like to have built on my own land, however the builder does not build except in their own development (Raleigh, NC USA), and is not willing to sell the home plans to me.

Is it acceptable to take the published and available house floor plans to an architect and have the architect create a set of blueprints for me?

I would want the architect to modify the plans to fit the elevation/terrain of the location I plan to build.

Is this typical/acceptable/ethical in the architect profession?

Thanks for your help!

Ed.

Reply to
Ed

Hello Ed,

First of all you can choose a Designer or Achitect to do your Home plans. Please visit my site for more information :

And on your main query. Architecture is the language of building. You could say everyone in the profession speaks architecture at different levels with their work. When you have someone design a home, They are applying their accumen of the language to your project.

A Designer or Architect can take the essay that is the plan you want to build. And fashion or sculpt a similar poem to suit your taste without plagiarizing the existing one.

Intellectual thought can not be patented although some like Microsoft would like to. We still live in a free country. God bless America!

Reply to
orange tree

First thing is to check your state laws regarding whether the plans will need to be sealed. For example, in Michigan, any residential building over

3500 s.f. requires a seal. This will determine whether you need a licensed architect, or if you can use a "designer"

Second, stay away from the "internet designer" types. You need someone local that is not only familiar with local codes, but familiar with local building practices, and can check on your contruction when it happens.

Third. Is it acceptable/ethical ? It depends. It happens a lot, from using existing plans as a basis for a different plan to outright copyright theft. In between is a big gray area.

After determining what you need WRT #1, talk with 2-4 different people/firms, and see what their comfort level is WRT what you want and how much of a copy vs new design it is......as well as their fees......and keep in mind you usually get what you pay for.

Reply to
P. Fritz

Thanks for all the advice!

Ed