Building a garage

Hello group,

I'd like a builder to build a garage for me on the side of my detached house. Not having ventured into anything like this before, I was wondering what procedures do I need to follow. I suspect it's not too difficult.

Do I see an architect first to draw up a plan then seek planning permission and then give those plans to the builder once permission is given or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks for any advice

Reply to
Ev'ryday Me

You may also need to do a building control application at your local authority. Building control deals with aspects concerning the construction mainly with respect to safety.

There are various exemptions possible that can simplify this, but for example there are requirements if it is connected to and has a door from the house. An architect should know about the issues involved, but then you also need too talk to your building control department at the local authority.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

That is about it except you do not really need an architect for the reasonably simple job of the drawings and building control Look in your local paper etc and you will find people who draw plans. See one of those and almost certainly it will be more cost effective than a member of RIBA (Royal Institute of Britisg Architects) You may find a builder may do your plans for you but tyen you will only have his quote. It is better to get drawings and a brief specification done (i.e type of bricks, roof joists, tiles door etc) then you can give this to as many builders as you can find that will quote. All should be then quoting on the same job and you should be able to compare like for like

Reply to
Mike Taylor