Building a garage overhang (eyebrow)

I'm residing a contempory house done originally in vertical cedar. The gable ends, including the garage that bumps out, have no overhang..looks like just a 1 x 8 board over the top of the siding along the roof. Bogus design if you ask me.

I'm residing with better vertical vinyl over the wood, at least in the front..standard horizontal the other 3 sides. Would much rather strip first, but because of the design, would be an ordeal and expensive.

Before the siding goes on I want to build overhangs for the garage and a door that are on gable ends and currently have no protection. Exploring ways to do this...

- build mini half trusses that extend 12-15" over the garage and just screw into the exterior wood every 24"

- tie them together with a facia board, then sheath with plywood. Flash the top edge, add drip edge and shingle. Let the siders cover over the top of the flashing, sides and underneath.

...same for the door but extend farther out.

I'm not a pro, just handy enough to get myself into trouble..seeking advice..

Reply to
flyguy909

This approach would be very dependent on the strength of the existing framing/siding. You lost me some with a 1/2 truss - which half? You are talking about creating a barge rafter.

A very strong way to create the barge would be to remove and replace the end truss/rafter/framing and use a drop chord truss or rafter set with lookouts cantilevered over the drop chord and well fastened in the common rafter.

A less strong method would be to strip back the roof sheathing and replace it with an overhanging amount. On new work it would be usual to extend the ridge board to carry the tops of the barges and to extend the sub fascia to carry the bottoms. The roof sheathing actually carries much of the weight of the barge. Add lookouts and soffit to stiffen the assembly. This method can droop over time, but is not unusual. The roof sheathing carrying the barge functions a bit like cantilever with more material back into the roof than out over the eave.

I just re-read your post. Are you thinking of your 1/2 trusses coming out from the building to look a bit like a Mansard? In other words are you thinking a parapet condition along the existing gable face? It might actually work and look interesting. It would sure be nice to CAD or sketch the concept well to see "the look".

______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

The garage is attached to the house and the garage doors are at the other gable end. This gable wall, like all the other gable walls on the house have virtually no overhang... just 1 by 8's over the siding along the slopes. What I want to do is build a little sloped overhang just over the top of the garage doors like this.. (side view, hope the spacing holds) the lines at the top are the main roof shingles.

Reply to
flyguy909