OT: Free/cheap web hosting

All I have with 123 are domain name registrations

All about 10 a year

.org.uk at 123 is a tad more expensive IIRC

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

123-reg do it for .uk domains.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

They do it for any domains that they run DNS for.

I have a .com doing it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's only half the battle though, just because 123 DNS sends

to cheapwebhosting's web server, doesn't mean the server will know what to do with it when it gets there ....

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes exactly - I'm not sure a cname can point to a specific Google Site ie I don't think you can have: "

CNAME sites.google.com/site/mysite".

The cPanel redirect I use at the moment actually works by creating a rewritecondition/rewriterule in the .htaccess file, but of course that has to be hosted.

Reply to
Reentrant

Ignore that - it can be done using a ghs.googlehosted.com CNAME and some other Google magic.

Reply to
Reentrant

amazon require an ALIAS (similar to a CNAME) to point a DNS name to an S3 bucket, but only amazon's route53 DNS servers allow such an ALIAS record to be created.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Google Sites does.

At least, the CNAME points to 123-reg Domain Forwarding, which then provides a 301 Redirect Forwarding, which works to Google Sites

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

OK, a 301 isn't too bad, unlike ye olde frame redirection method ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

-on-my-domain-name-1198/

Isn't a redirection to a different URL going to cause an Awful Warning with most modern browsers? Which is going to put many users off, even if the browser allows it at all.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

No, will cause a small delay, but nobody will notice ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

sigh.

Since it is about the most common thing that people do when setting up a website any idiot can find information on how to do it on the web.

Just not you, it seems

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Christ you make simple shit complicated...

If you have aq server with an .htaccess file WTF dont you make that server the proper one and dump all the google shit?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Read my original post again - I want to pass the domain over to someone who doesn't have (or need) any hosting.

Reply to
Reentrant

But if they are going to have a website they DO need some sort of hosting?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes - it's hosted on Google Sites. Do I have to repeat the whole scenario?

Reply to
Reentrant

Oh do f*ck off ... you're hardly the only person that knows how to knit domains, dns, linux and http servers together.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well no, since your statements are inconsistent

Clearly the 'google sites' site is not a proper web site

It's just a subdivision of someone elses.

Its the usual peoce of GoogleCrap? that gets you locked into someone else's (profitable) way of doing things, rather than the way you actually wanted

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Exactly so, but not it seems 're-entrant'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, people are free to mix and match, either paying for a domain, or using a free sub-domain from their ISP. Not many ISPs give free hosting nowadays, but you can get static pages for free with google, or buy hosting for cheap. Until last year we used to run half a dozen of our Xen boxes in a datacentre with various VMs for web/database/email/dns, but the economics now mean they've been replaced by amazon S3 buckets and EC2 hosts.

Clearly you do lose control and flexibility by bolting together freebies from various suppliers, but as long as it fits the bill for some people, why not?

Reply to
Andy Burns