OT: Energy Providers; Mass switch

For those interested, 38 Degrees is, yet again, prompting members to switch providers, en masse, in order to gain a better deal...

...Ray.

Reply to
RayL12

Heh heh. It's for green energy. The uneducated here won't like that. We have plenty of them.

Reply to
harry

The educated around here know that there is no such thing as green energy from the grid.

You can lie as much as you like but you can't avoid CO2 generation or nuclear power if you take any energy from the uk grid.

Reply to
dennis

Yeah, I noticed that comment on the page 'after' I signed. I am indifferent to the source but, have a leaning towards none fossil. More at the zero point family.

If memory serves me right, the last time this was done, 150,000 people registered. I presume the numbers will be bigger this time around.

I noticed, too, that the message is to show that 'we' do not want tax dodging or, over pricing. Maybe such activities as this will begin to open eyes?

Times are a changing. It really will not be too long before they that govern will have to listen and serve.

Reply to
RayL12

"once loads of us have signed up, we'll be offered a great deal by a green energy company"

Why do these people need to switch on a regular basis? Surely green energy is free and the installations heavily subsidised by the rest of us?

Maybe the costs are in supplying green energy when the sun doesn't shine and the wind doesn't blow.

Reply to
alan_m

"The process is virtually effortless and my energy provider charges no more than the big energy providers. It's such a simple thing to do, but makes a HUGE impact!"

A huge impact inside your head maybe, in terms of energy production not a jot.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Installing green energy systems causes a bunch of materail use, cost & resultant pollution. Its a myth to call them green.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Installing "green" generation yes, but signing up (or not signing up) to a "green" tariff doesn't affect which electrons go where.

Reply to
Andy Burns

No.

Yes.

Reply to
Tim Streater

A great deal compared to what? Usually it's compared to the worst possible energy deal they can find just to make the savings look good.

A "green energy company" is one which claims to incorporate into its supply a greater proportion of wind or solar power, in the order of 15%

The energy costs are higher because the "green" element costs more. Hence they have to con the gullible with false "savings" figures just like the comparison sites do.

Reply to
bert

Ha, ever the optomist some people.

That's easely solved with Harry's much vanuted "smart grid". All those signing up for a "green tarrif" have to have a "smart meter" installed.

When it's predicted that there isn't going to be enough "green" electricity available on the grid as shown by the previous half hours use as reported by the meters a suitable proportion of such green customers are load shed for that 30 minute period. There can be some means of sharing out the load shedding so if it's only a small short fall some only a small fraction of green customers will be disconnected and probably only for 30 mins then a new selection of green customers have their "outge" for the next 30 mins. If the short fall is large, it could be that you only get power for 30 mins every few hours.

The distribution infrastructure still needs to be improved/maintained and even windmills have a capital/maintenace costs. So a public electricty supply with an annual bill of £0.00 isn't (shouldn't!) happen but about £10/month ought to cover those costs. £120/year, ou r E7 standing charge is £100/year.

The "savings" are quite big, we spend about £1200/year on electricity (excluding the night rate E7), call the savings £1000, doesn't take long to recoup the costs of a UPS capable of keeping essential lights, IT kit etc on for 45 mins and say a 5kVA auto-start genset and changeover that starts once the power has been gone for 35 mins (or the UPS batteries are low).

So more kit made and used, increasing CO2 production and burning diesel (more CO2) at probably well less that 50% effciency. At 5 kVA one might be able to get a water cooled engine and plumb it into a heat store some how for a basic CHP system.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There would be a market for mains gas generators if they ever did a tariff like that.

Reply to
dennis

Disconnect users on cheapest green tariffs first ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

They do.

Reply to