OT: Employees and the snowflake generation

Should have had Adam in charge of the brexit negotiations. He'd have had the EU paying us £39B to leave.

Reply to
Tim Streater

He'd have been too busy f****ng Christine Lagarde to do that.

Reply to
Paulk

Electricians may have a reputation for "doing a foreigner" but I don't approve of stereotyping.

Reply to
Robin

Was reading a section in the metro on the way to work and in one article it says that ~49% of millenails are scared of powertools because of the noise they make.

I also found this. while looking for the about.

whisky-dave

How old are these "millennials"? If they've only just left home, it's not surprising they don't know how to do domestic stuff. At least the boys will have the rudiments of cooking, even if it's just how to heat up stuff in the microwave. In my day boys weren't allowed to learn how to cook.

Reply to
Max Demian

That's a major parental failure, then.

Not at school, perhaps. In my day the girls did Domestic Science and the boys metalworking. Learning how to cook/iron, etc would have been a lot more use.

Reply to
Tim Streater
8<

You can learn to iron in a few minutes. Cooking takes a few days/weeks depending on what you want to cook.

Metalwork isn't much harder.

My daughter was taught basic plumbing, bricklaying and electrics at school. This was when she was 12.

The soldering of electronic stuff was more problematic as they didn't tell here the soldering iron was hot and she burnt her thumb when she picked it up.

Reply to
dennis

How do think TMH makes a living?

Reply to
ARW

All very useful. I learnt something about bricklaying from my father.

My bro was in the navy and brought home a certain amount of surplus stuff. Soldering iron that only finally packed up about a year ago; coil of solder a lot of which I still have. A number of relays that I did some binary logic with and a few assorted diodes and transistors to play with.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You can get a lot of good apprentices if you weed out the dross at an early stage including the interview. Don't rely on a third party to do this initial work. These third party organisations are purely there to make money from you or via government grants.

It's much like employing someone after getting a whole lot of CVs from an employment agency. Some people will be totally unsuitable for the job, some of the CVs will contain a large amount of bullshit and its up to employer to sort the good from the bad.

Reply to
alan_m

In fact Adam has only ever had two of those out of dozens of duds.

I don?t think his operation does.

The difference is that there are far fewer that are any good attitude wise who choose to be apprentices now.

Reply to
Paulk

Surely a kid can learn both of those from their parents? As with any household task?

I'd disagree there. I'm very happy I was taught the basics at school. Not many households have access to a lathe.

Must have been pretty basic. Like how to boil a kettle in cooking?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Over my years in broadcast, must have had dealings with hundreds of trainees. Could count on the fingers of one hand the numbers who were totally useless and sacked.

If you take someone on just on the bases of being the son of a friend, etc, I'd say you have the reasons for failure.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I did a term and a half of cooking at 11/12 (first year in Secondary).

Tea and toast was the first week, but we moved on to more advanced stuff. I remember pizza (from scratch), probably scones or simple cakes as well. Maybe a bacon-and-egg flan, something like that.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I would have liked to have been taught such things at school. But not sure which other subjects would have had to be cut to make room for it. Certainly not woodwork and metalwork - I still use those skills today.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't know about the schools near Dennis, but round here the nearest comp has a dedicated building site training area which they use for vocational training of building trades.

Reply to
John Rumm

While I did woodwork at school for a bit, I am not sure I really picked up many useful skills that way. Most of what I have learnt and actually use today I either taught myself, read, or saw on a youtube video.

Reply to
John Rumm

Both Dennis and myself both have one of these nearby

ARW

Well she fitted a sink waste and taps to a sink.

Built a small wall.

Fitted a socket to a ring main (but didn't make the holes).

Pretty basic.

Reply to
dennis

Probably similar to me.

We once did a jacket potatoes. Well at the time I was in the Scouts so it made a change not to go out for firewood to cook one. Now Scouting has moved along over the last 35 years. When we went camping half the lads were sent to look for firewood and the other half went with a spade and a sack and raided the local potato field.

Reply to
ARW