Best Sawzall?

The Milwaukee Super Sawzall 6537-22 is what my local hardware store carries but is there a better one? Would orbital action be better? I'm looking at a

120V corded unit with smooth cuts, minimal vibration, good power and good reliability. I burn up about 2 reciprocating saws (not Milwaukees) about every 5 years so heavy duty and reliability is a must.
Reply to
Fred

I don't use mine all the time, but my Milwaukee Super-sawzall has been in use for my entire home construction project, and other than the cord needing to be re-terminated twice, has been rock solid. The longer stroke can be hard on blades for the novice user, but sounds like you're past the "bend blades all the time" stage. If this one ever goes out, I'll probably replace it with the same thing, I'm quite happy with it.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Hi Fred, I own a a heavy duty sawzall model 6507 that I got second hand. It's corded. It sure has come in handy. I usually buy 3rd party blades 'cause they're cheaper and I've only broken one so far. I use mine for pruning and hack sawing. I would buy another. You'll be happy too. Cheers. Joe_Stein

Fred wrote:

Reply to
Joe_Stein

Dave:

Milwaukee just introduced a new, more powerful SawzAll, the 6523-21 Super SawzAll. It is now 12Amps instead of 7, has a 1-1/4" stroke, and orbital action at up to 3000 strokes per minute. If my old SawzAll wasn't doing as well as it is, I'd jump on this in a heartbeat!

Jim Ray, President McFeely's Square Drive Screws

(We do not carry Milwaukee tools, BTW. But if you are look>> The Milwaukee Super Sawzall 6537-22 is what my local hardware store >> carries

Reply to
jimbo

If it can help you... I spoke with the Milwaukee representative in Quebec and he told me there is no need at all to go for the orbital action or a more powerful model.

Milwaukee do make more powerful models but it has a lot more to do with catching up with the competition on the specs side than genuine technical requirement. Just claiming that you've got the "most powerful" reciprocating saw on the market is usually enough to gain substancial market shares... so Milwaukee don't want to be left behind.

I have the Super Sawzall 6537-22 and I've been very satisfied with it. I would buy the same model again tomorrow in a blink of an eye.

Cyberben

Reply to
cyberben

If mine ever breaks, I'll consider upgrading, but in all reality I'll probably just replace-in-kind. More Power, usually equals "heavier and less manouverable".

Reply to
Dave Hinz

The brand you mention is called the best, and I know of no better. Even the Sazall has some vibration, and not as smooth of a cut as a jigsaw. I really like the way the blade is held in place with the Milwaulkee brands. My Sawzall has been used for 15 years and still going strong.

Reply to
Phisherman

I would go with the Milwaukee but the orbital action is only good for fast and "rough" cutting. If you want a smooth cut you want to defeat the orbital action.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Wilson

The trick IMHO, is the blade, not the saw.

Stick with bi-metal blades or carbide if you cut fiberglass like I do.

Stick a good blade in almost any the the "SawZall" products out there and you will be happy.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I've had the Milwaukee Super Sawzall for around 5 years and cut down everything from walls to small trees. I used the regular Milwaukee sawzall in construction work years ago and we demolished anything with it and a sledgehammer.

Top notch and will last forever.

RonT

Reply to
Ron Truitt

On one of my early assignements as a Westinghouse field maintenance engineer, we discovered an electric utility generator that had been installed incorrectly. This was not your garden variety generator. It was 500 megawatt capacity and supplied the city of Corpus Christi, Texas. the fix was to cut three holes through 4" thick steel plate. We put a crew on it with a Milwaukee sawzall running round the clock for most of the weekend. In the end the generator was fixed and the sawzall was still running strong. The name has stuck with me ever since.

Bob

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

Just curious, is circle W still in the electrical apparatus business?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I don't know authoritatively what businesses they are in and out of today. They certainly still have a strong presence in nuclear power and large generators.

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

But it isn't the same Circle-W--in mid-90s the Nuclear Division was sold to BNFL plc and although they use the Westinghouse name, what was Westinghouse has morphed into CBS...there's a timeline at

which documents the demise. As I recall, somewhere in the early 90s was when all the other components not associated w/ the nuclear division were parceled off...

While always a competitor, in a way sad to see the loss of a straight line from George's babies to the present...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

There was no rhyme nor reason to their pricing strategy.

If they needed to fill a factory, they would buy the job.

If they didn't need to fill a factory, they either wouldn't bid or else bid very high.

You could never predict which way, so you just ignored them.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Well, there was a lot of that in the nuclear industry...we (one of the competitors) considered selling the reactor basically as Gillete thinks of razors--you could basically give the razor away in order to sell blades/shaving cream, etc., forever. Refueling and services was intended to be the long-term cash cow. The only requirement was to not lose much money on the nuclear island.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Can't comment on anything having to do with the nuclear industry since my employer walked away early and left it to people like circle W.

It looks like the electric utility industry is trying to get the public to pay for the clean up costs which were suppossed to have already been covered.

Oh well, what else is new?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

????

The present problem is one primarily not of the utilities' making...it was created by government action, Mr Carter having been the prime instiagator...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

There is no one other than the public to pay for it. We either pay for it now out of ratepayer funds, or pay for it later as a consequence of using capital that otherwise would be spent on expansion or improvement, including improvements that would LOWER future rates.

I'm not clear on how government action, by Carter or any other adminstration created a problem the utilities need to clean up. Perhaps you could explain via email, or followup to an appriate newsgroup as that would no longer be a woodworking topic.

Reply to
fredfighter