OT: Employees and the snowflake generation

How much longer does an NVQ take? It's May. If it's not much longer, I'd keep him on until he's finished it and regard it as a charitable donation!

Reply to
GB

major mistake.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The solution is simple. Give him performance targets based on your documented performance on the job. He won't meet them. Meet with him & explain his deficiency and give remedial training. Go round that loop twice then fire him. Everything must be documented. Your failure to object to his behaviour for 8 months will certainly count against you if it goes to tribunal.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Can he go to tribunal within 2 years?

Personally, I applaud RDS's caring approach. I'd try and help as much as I felt able to.

Reply to
GB

The short answer is usually "yes" - they seem to fail to grasp the concept that businesses like yours provide the majority of employment in the country!

Reply to
John Rumm

Playing victim isn't caring. Either he can be trained to do what's required of the job or he can't. If he can't, someone else will be glad to.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Clearly, if there's no hope the apprentice can be trained up, then you are doing him a favour by sparing him the ongoing pressure of trying.

However, the alternative is that he is perfectly capable of getting there eventually, but he's immature and not used to making a real effort at things. Of course, that makes him a real PITA for RDS, so it's a question of how much patience RDS still has left.

Reply to
GB

People can get there eventually if they're genuinely trying. Those folk I have plenty of patience for. The ones described in the OP should be got shot of in 2 days. That's just enough time to do the training, assessment, remediation loop if you take the time out to do so. Failure to do so is being a mug.

That's one of the things wrong with British industry. So many people continue to pay time wasters that they learn that they can waste everyone's time. It's as much employers' fault as it is employees'.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's 12 months, we were thinking along similar lines.

Reply to
R D S

In that case, I'd probably go a bit easier on him, but I'm soft. There's no point putting loads of effort in.

At the end of his course, I suggest telling him what you have in mind and ask him whether he really wants to shape up or get out.

Reply to
GB

Yep.

I'm not apologising for the way I am, I'd do it the same way again as it's not in me to treat people like a commodity but sadly NT is correct.

I doubt bollocks and his dad were awake at 5 this morning, still outraged, and up at 6 scouring the ACAS website.

I blame the parents. This is the second person i've employed who have never made a brew*.

*This is now a future interview question.
Reply to
R D S

Well then you can join me in a life of being skint and aggravated! Unless you are blessed with good luck.

Reply to
R D S

We have got rid of some them after 8 hours.

Reply to
ARW

Parent's don't often get involved with our firm and apprentices. Apprentices are told, if given a contract after a two week trial, that the contract is with them and not their parents and if your old enough to f*ck you are old enough to sort your own shit out.

Reply to
ARW

Sounds to me like someone needs to take more care choosing them? Or is it difficult to get apprentices these days?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And anyone who is any good will appreciate firmness, clarity, and direction.

Reply to
Tim Streater

But it's far from clear that they get many apprentices like that anymore.

Reply to
Paulk

It is the useless parents to blame. Being the youngest of four, I was fortunate to learn from my siblings mistakes that one *never* complains to parents after being disciplined at school. Key word, discipline.

Reply to
Richard

Yes looking at it from a new employee point of view. When you first go into work you just do not know what is right or wrong and given a reasonable boss they can guide you from the first day. If you are not getting through then either there is a communication issue or the person really is a kind of Frank Spencer in waiting. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Nicely put +1

Reply to