OT - Ebay buy it now auction

I've put my old car on ebay as an auction with a "But it now" price. I thought that if somebody clicked the Buy it now button the auction would stop and that person became the buyer and all other bids would be canceled.

Apparently the Buy it now button and price vanishes when the first bid is placed. Somebody has offered me the Buy it now price although the option is no longer there. He seems genuine. What is the procedure?

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

I confess to doing this on purpose where the BIN price is far too high.

I thought there were options to cancel the auction, such as "No longer available"?

Reply to
Fredxx

I have a feeling that once the auction has started, the BIN option is removed. Did you set a reserve price?

Reply to
John Rumm

Cancel the sale. Relist the car, 'buy it now' only. Tell the interested guy when you've done it.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

cancelling it will cause you a problem with ebay.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I'm the OP. Thanks for the replies.

The buyer turned up today with the cash, examined the car and declared himself satisfied. The transaction is complete and I simply canceled the auction. I'm happily prepared to pay the fee, it's only fair.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave