OT: DVLA

No idea. But it was toured internationally.

It certainly paved the way for the laser version - which is really exactly the same premise, only using a laser to create a scar rather than a scalpel.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Harry Bloomfield has brought this to us :

I wear three different pairs, a driving pair, a pair for computer/TV/general walking about reading, then a prescription pair of reading glasses for reading very fine print/ close work. I rarely need to use the later pair.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Jethro_uk formulated on Friday :

I don't understand how either method can work. Surely the problem is the failure of the eye to be able to adjust its focus, as they age. Glasses manage to adjust that focus point, to allow a restricted focus distance, but sometimes (as in my case) proper focus can only be achieved with several different pairs of glasses.

So, laser adjustment can improve this, to enable the eyes lens to focus at a more useful distance without the use of glasses, but surely glasses will still be needed for other distances?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes, for short-sighted correction.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Andy Burns formulated the question :

Thanks, I must must be long sighted then - I see distances fine.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The numberplate test is the actual yardstick used by the police.

Once having administered a numberplate test which a driver has failed, the police have no further discretion in the mattter AFAIAA.

I assume they can't simply wait around for a couple of hours, or however long it might take, so at to administer further tests, until the driver finally passes.

But exactly the same kind of test would be performed in a hospital to determine that the damahge had healed as would be required for the licence to be re-instated. So what's the difference ?

I would imagine that once a driver has failed the eyesight test, as with the breathaliser although obviously the circumstances are different, there are certain procedures which must be followed. I'd imagine that if the driver gets the all clear at the hospital the very same day and passes an equivalent test then the police will be notified accordingly and that will be the end of the matter.

Otherwise not.

michael adams

michael adams

We'll see. Subsequent to that I mentioned this to the optician I go to. He could still see the holes. But thanks for that - I'll make sure to check with him next time I go, to see if the holes are still there (the lasering was a couple of years ago).

Reply to
Tim Streater

Those are the ones that look like the bottoms of milk bottles (thicker tat the edge than at the middle) and which make the wearer's eyes look smaller than they really are.

Reply to
NY

Tim Streater submitted this idea :

I tried those and just couldn't get on with them. I kept tripping up and didn't like having to raise my head and look down to read.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Why? In my case, I had the first cataract removed at about the same time that the second one was starting to develop.

Neither cataract sufficiently degraded my vision to anywhere near the legal limit - the first one was spotted because, in my work, I did a lot of night driving and I started to notice an elipse of about seven spots of light around distant streetlights. Pretty, rather than distracting!

Actually, the cataracts did me a favour. I'd worn glasses simce the age of 14 for a combination of severe astigmatism and short sight.

I now have 20:20 vision and don't need glasses for distance vision but I opted for varifocals because wearing glasses alll day was natural, if I need glasses for reading or using the computer I don't have to hunt for them and I can never forget my reading glasses when I go out!

This decision was also based on experience from when I first needed glasses for reading, etc. I had a workshop on the lower ground floor and a desk on the second floor ...

I think you can guess the rest!

Reply to
Terry Casey

Or with varifocals.

Reply to
Tim Streater

If you see distance fine, that will be the case. Correction will be reading glasses or varifocals with little or no correction at the top and plenty at the bottom.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I found that I felt dizzy wearing them, because objects changed shape as I moved my head around: rectangles distorted into parallelograms as I moved my head left to right or top to bottom: the amount of the distortion increased the further object was from the centre of my vision. The optician (as Specsavers) said she'd never heard of that symptom before. She checked the measurements of the centres of my eyes (which is critical with VF glasses) and found it was spot-on but had another pair of glasses made in case of manufacturing fault; those were just the same. I think I opted for the middle of three cost/lens-complexity types of VF lenses.

So I accepted the fall-back offer of two separate pairs of single-vision glasses (weak distance and strong reading) for the price of one pair of VF glasses.

My eyes have got progressively more and more short-sighted since I was about

45 (they were perfect for close and distance before then), to the extent that I cannot read a book or my computer monitor. When I first got glasses, I only needed them for reading and they made the monitor worse than with no glasses. My distance vision has improved gradually: initially I needed very weak distance glasses, but now they make things worse - and they definitely make the car dashboard more blurred than with no glasses.

What is the situation with the DVLA if it gets recorded on your driving licence that you need glasses to drive, and your eyesight changes so you no longer need distance glasses? How easy is it to get the DVLA to remove the "requires glasses" flag? I presume adding the flag is based on a letter from an optician, so presumable its removal requires a similar letter. Is it mandatory for the licence to have the "requires glasses" flag if glasses are needed? What about if they help, but one can still pass the eyesight test without them, which is probably the case with me.

Reply to
NY

Just acquired my first photocard license, I went for a medical in order to retain the ability to tow and to drive 7.5 ton vehicles (but didn't want to be able to drive minibuses). Can't do that online, you need a medical and possibly an optician's certificate.

Doctor was surprisingly clueless. I took along my optician's prescription from a couple of months ago and she was happy to tick my "eyesight" box after making me do the standard chart. I subsequently discovered that I would not have passed the minibus requirement (although I did meet the ones I needed), from the reading that she gave me (I am confident that my current prescription is in fact well up to scratch).

She had the eyesight chart on the back of the door, and it was very poorly lit, which I think is why I struggled to read the line that she really wanted. On doing a bit of research, the chart is supposed to be illuminated at least to 120 lux, and this one definitely was below that. (You can get a light meter app on smartphones).

So my advice is

1) volunteer nothing, as someone else said 2) if a doctor is doing the eye test, have a meter on your phone and check the chart illumination

and if you are in any doubts, get a certificate from your optician and submit that to DVLA with your application (I suspect you will have to do that via a paper application). I would be surprised if an optician didn't know exactly how to word the report, provided they were happy that you were in spec.

Reply to
newshound

I didn't know this, but I would *never* consider laser treatment anyway. I've had glasses for short sight since my teens and now get new varifocals every couple of years. (I can still pass the numberplate test with four year old ones, but there is enough change in two years for me to notice). I think I have had periods where my eyesight has been stable for getting on for ten years, but I would never consider laser treatment to be a "one time fix".

Reply to
newshound

Similar to what I do. The eye that went was the one I used for vision 'inside' the car. The other focused outside the car.

So I got bifocals wuth a large 'near' section; the dividing line coincides pretty well with the top of the dashboard. The 'near' part is actually intermediate, making it easy to read the instruments (particularly the satnav). The 'distance' part is a slight correction, not essential but useful, as for you.

Reply to
Bob Eager

They are indeed. DVLA didn't even need a medical certificate for me.

Since my eyes were totally mismatched, that was really the case for me even with two eyes; it was like that from birth. One eye for one thing, the other for the rest.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Probably better if you are Voldemort.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Only a short while, you will get some sight back within a few hours once the anaesthetic has worn off.

Reply to
DJC

Laser treatment of the kind described doesn't fix the accommodation problems most people have from middle age; it is usually used to correct short sightedness in relatively young people who, then, won't need glasses until middle age.

Reply to
Max Demian