Organic paints ... anyone here had experience of applying them ?

Organic paints ... anyone here had experience of applying them ?

They seem to be a healthier option than oil based paints. I was wondering how long they stayed looking "nice" and if application is any different to other paints ?

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

About as healthy as organic solvents I expect.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I've just bought a tin from here

expensive but sounds good. Haven't applied it yet. Has anybody used it?

cheers Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom

No, but I had spotted it. Does it smell as lovely as linseed putty?

The only thing is that the range of colours doesn't seem to be there. It's fine if they happen to have the precise hue that you want. I guess it would be possible to mix them?

Reply to
Andy Hall

We used Ecos organic paints. I expected their performance to be woeful and only used them on the insistence of SWMBO. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Application was just as for normal paints, and the finish was excellent - far better than Dulux or Crown crap I've used before. Were quite expensive though.

How long it stays looking good for I can't comment as I sold the house. Stayed looking fine for the 8 months we were there.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

I just love an informative response - I suppose it justifies your existence.

Reply to
judith

I read the response two ways - as flippant and as being knowledgeable! What is organic and what is healthy?

Reply to
clot

has to be one of the vaguest paint descriptions I've heard.

If you're referring to linseed oil paints, I've read nowt but good about them, with one significant exception: theyre very slow drying, can take days. I assume you know how to apply it in a suitable way.

If youre referring to something else, give us a clue which of the numerous paint types you mean.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Seconded.

Our experience of Ecos paints was that they were extremely easy to use, covered well, just no hassle at all. We didn't move for 2 - 3 years afterwards - the only deterioration I noticed was some fading in the sun lounge - not exactly unexpected!

Keith

Reply to
Keith Dunbar

It is probably better to call them natural rather than organic, in the sense that they they tend to be formulated from sustainable raw materials - rather than ones that have been grown in cow dung. Plus, it should be noted that the vast majoritity of the "natural" (light coloured) paints still containt titanium dioxide, which is far from natural or organic. It is impossible to formulate a really good paint that only needs a couple of coats without using titanium dioxide. NB. The more limited colour ranges result from needing to use only plant based pigments - rather than synthetic ones.

I've used a number of different manufaturers paints - they do vary in quality. Some of the better ones weren't that far off the quality of "normal" paints, however some were quite poor.

ECOS paints are on the whole pretty good - but they aren't all "natural" - in the sense that they do use synthetic materials. However, they have done a lot of work to reduce the amount of free chemicals in the products - which means that they are particularly good for people who suffer from allergic reactions. So, even though they may use synthetic raw materials, they are better for your local environment whilst you are painting.

Other more common brands that have very low VOC content (volatile organic compounds - i.e. solvents) are Crown Breatheasy and most B&Q own brand paints. They've reduced VOC (solvent) contents to very low levels, check out the VOC symbols on the tins & look for ones that say "minimal"

diypaint

Creosote is pretty organic.

been banned I hear.

When I was at school 'organic' meant 'based on carbon'

Carbon tetrachloride is an organic solvent. So is trichlorethylene. Both now banned.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Distemper is a very capable paint, and uses chalk rather than TiO2. All old paint recipes are Ti-free.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Try thinking before you type, Judith.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I don't think you're being very helpful here. Organic now means "nice", ok? I heard it on the tele.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Oh, do save us the trip down memory lane. Why do you think they started using something miles more expensive when they had good old chalk lying around?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Don't forget it has to be flown half way around the world to be truly organic.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Many of these paints are still in use, esp whitewash, limewash and distemper.

Facts eh

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I'll pop down to B&Q and give them a try

Reply to
Stuart Noble

in greenhouses

in cowsheds

Only because it's bloddy impossible to put anything else on top of distemper.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Distemper isn't a paint.