Fused connection unit question

I've uploaded a picture of a fused connection unit.

Would the team like to take a guess what it's used for?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I'm guessing it's used for making a fused connection.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You?ve not given us much to go on!

Okay, I?ll say mains powered vibrator in a brothel (hard wired to prevent removal).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Have a think about where the wires go.

Have you just been watching Trucking Hell where the lady driver found the butt plug?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

It could be used for several things- one of those small heaters sometimes used in airing cupboards, a fixed electric radiator, a supply to a central heating control system, ......

We?ve got some switched ones which are for heater towel rails (they aren?t in the bathrooms).

Reply to
Brian Reay

It's a flex outlet for any appliance up to 13A. Or it could be used equally for another cable into the backbox. The only difference from a modern one is the the electrician is left to use his inititative for protective conductor contnuity. If it doesn't have a switch and this may be inappropriate for some purposes nowadays. But such fused connection units without a switch still have their uses. For instance, my lathe has such a fused unit and one of those two pole red button things to isolate it.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

cooker connection unit?

PS did you forget to include the picture of the bent nail in the fuse carrier?

Reply to
Robin

No Earth connection

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Back then it was normal practice to just twist earth wires together.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Well, it'd be no good there if it were soft-wired!

Reply to
PeterC

Well print it out and it will stick over a small hole in the wall... Oh wait he means the thing in the picture, sorry, since I cannot see it... grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Or outdoor Christmas lights like reindeer and santa on roof? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I was tempted to think about that Monty Pythons sketch about the slaughter house with its rotating knives. Actually is there a big radar dish on the roof? Crabtree do a lot of control gear for starting up big motors on three phase supplies... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

As for twisting wires, Surely you would use heat shrink and solder the twisted wires first? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Joining non-mains cables, such as TV aerial or phone line?

Reply to
Andy Burns

So is he going to own up as to what it was?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Close but no cigar.

It *is* a modern one. (Well, fairly modern. The logo dates it 1981-1991.)

Front view:

Earth-free locations, I presume.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

The first picture was a normal fused connection unit terminals side, but there is no earth connection or earth bar across the mounting holes.

The second picture was the front, with a BT logo, and text "This component has no earth terminal and must not be used where a protective earth is required". The faceplate screws are also non-metally (nylon?).

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I think a company more single-mindedly pursuing profit might simply use a commodity FCU and not connect the earth terminal - they can always put a sticker on it, and you otherwise can't tell from the outside anyway (apart from the screws).

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Wouldn't work too well for a flex outlet.

Reply to
Roger Hayter