Fused connection unit question

Where's the socket where I can plug my telephone in?

Reply to
Max Demian

In those days, put the phone in the freezing draughty hall If it's too cold to talk long that'll keep the bill small

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

In the electricity industry (both National Grid and the Distribution Network Operators) they were commonly used for powering BT Kilostream X (64kbps) line drivers on sites where there was a risk of a rise of earth potential (during an HV fault) and where connection to the exchange was over copper. Probably last used in the mid to late 1990's

They were also used on PABX installations on the same at risk sites.

--

Reply to
The Other Mike

would not those uses be a little misleading and in one case overkill in the other loss making. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Interesting, I'd assumed telephone exchanges, hadn't considered subs apps on electricity sites.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

But TNP wouldn't be teasing us with the question if it was used as a normal FCU.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Testing fuses?

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

I'm trying to think of anything where a FCU without ground was ever compliant?

But it might date from the days of when lighting circuits didn't need a ground. So not really an FCU, but switch with fuse?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Right. So is FCU the correct name for it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have not contributed to this thread

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

they used choc blocks for that

Reply to
tabbypurr

maybe pre 1955, and obviously it's from much later. But BR don't apply to commercial/industrial sites, and even domestically deviation from the regs is permitted if its safety can be justified.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

OK, as you were ... I got it into my head you were the O/P instead of Owain.

Reply to
Andy Burns

don't insult Owain.

Reply to
dennis

No idea, I simply saw them in situ, they resemble a normal FCU in some respects but as for what they were actually called then it's a question to be asked of someone from Crabtree or BT.

--

Reply to
The Other Mike