OT Death

The two most significant women in my life have died in the past four years from cancer. My mother from pancreatic cancer in 2015 at 95; my wife of uterine cancer in April last year at 78 (I'm still struggling to come to terms with losing her). It focuses the mind. All the people that I'm aware of who've died in the last few years have died of cancer of one sort of another. Whether it's the most common cause of death these days, I don't know, but it's a terrible scourge.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

God speed, Jim. Thanks, Jim.

Reply to
Stephen Cole

Antibiotics have got rid of many of the formerly common causes of death. I know I'd have died on at least one occasion without them.

Reply to
charles
<snip>

I am seeing how difficult this can be every day re my Mrs and the loss of her daughter.

Ok, we sort of expect to lose our parents and as we get older we can lose our friends / partners (and that must be hard enough) but I don't think anyone is ready for the loss of their children.

I'm not sure of the state of mind of my Mrs before her daughter died but I'm pretty sure it hasn't helped. Many days go on as if she's in a trance, her mind is somewhere else and you never know what will set her off.

I am slightly more pragmatic and see every day I or those around me wake up as a bonus.

I think we have been fairly fortunate (so far) but as we speak my sister is awaiting the start of her breast cancer treatment and Mum (90+) was taken into hospital by ambulance this morning with a rash and other 'issues'. ;-(

That it is. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

My old man died from industrial cancer. The owners of the factory knew all about it and could not have cared less. Different days. My wife died from ovarian cancer at 69 in April last year. She was never in the best of health and had blood tests every 3 months. I don't understand why a tumor can grow into the size of a "grapefruit" in 3 months. I have doubts about the blood testing people. The staff at the hospital and the Hospice were magnificent. Chris, the hurt does fade away, sort of, it will never go away. I've been attacked here by saying that OUR money should be spent here not given to the --- nations that suck the blood from white people. I stand by that.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

And heart surgery and better medication has helpd the second most common. I'd be dead twice aleady without chemotherapy and stents

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is the chemotherapy why you sometimes make very badly typed posts? Does it affect your thinking too?

Reply to
Pamela

y>>

And just for comparison:

Custos Custodum

Thank you for your condolences, and mine to you. I do think it takes someone who has had the experience of losing someone very close to know what it's like. My wife had a massive, silent, inoperable uterine tumor, 13cm the autopsy showed, so like your wife's, the size of a grapefruit. She died five days after the first symptoms appeared. It actually knocked out her kidneys, and that was the immediate cause of her death. She went down like a stone over those five days, unconscious for the last two.

It's been sixteen months now, and the hurt comes and goes. I thought it was fading, but I started going through some of her very personal things, things she'd accumulated throughout her life and that were very dear to her and that she loved, and it brought it all back. I shall leave it quite a while before I try again.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

The ?how? or the ?why?? Some tumours just can grow very fast, it?s in their nature. Others are very slow growing. As to why, that?s a more philosophical question if you believe in god. If you don?t, you just have to accept that we are not perfect organisms and that over a long time, eventually some cells will go rogue and start dividing without restraint. The longer we live, the more likely we are to develop cancer.

That rather depends on what they were testing your wife?s blood for. I?d be very surprised if there were testing her blood for tumour markers three monthly. Routine blood chemistry tests won?t generally pick up cancer.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

lol! I get that too. They virtually demand that I come in for a blood pressure check, which I measure it myself and know is fine, well at least it is fine when I'm not in the doctors office.

At least this time when I told the doctor he put my systolic pressure up

+20 mmHg, he did accept the number I gave him.
Reply to
Pancho

it's known as the 'white coat syndrome'.

Reply to
charles

Disposing of the stuff is very hard. I gave my wife's stuff to the British Heart Foundation, the Hospice would not collect and I was in no condition to drive. Some of the clothes still had the price tag on. She loved her expensive handbags. There are some in the wardrobe, I know that one has some cash in it and some discount cards or whatever they are called. I can't bring myself to again open the handbag or get rid of it. It will stay in the wardrobe until I am formatted.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

It was stage 5 and should have been picked up on before it got to that critical level. The consultant agreed with me when I mentioned it.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Have you had you home machine checked? It is worth taking it to your GP surgery and asking the nurse to compare it to their machine. I was told some are not that accurate. I assume you have an annual check up, they will do it as part of that if you ask.

Reply to
Brian Reay

What sort of eejit thinks bringing education standards down to those of the dumbest student is a good thing?

Reply to
tabbypurr

Brian Reay snipped-for-privacy@m.com posted

None of them are very accurate, not if reproducibility is any guide. Even the ones GPs use.

Reply to
The Marquis Saint Evremonde

The USA tried that after the Apollo missions were canned.

The USA NIH was given billions of dollars to find a cure for cancer in the 70's and 80's.

Never happened though.

Reply to
Andrew

Or in the case of a female relative aged 38 back in the mid

1960's who saw her GP and was told :-

"you've probably got glandular fever because you are run down, tired and have lumps in your neck".

Reply to
Andrew

People don't wear dark suits or sombre clothes to a funeral any more, apart from a 'certain generation'.

Reply to
Andrew