OT: Councils.

Happened to look at the newish site our council uses for parking matters.

If you apply for a resident's parking pass online, they ask for proof you are who you say. Like a scan of a council tax bill.

Can anyone explain just how that gives them any proof they don't already have? Assuming you are already the householder who pays the CT? By your name and address they've asked for on the site?

I suppose you could have a son with exactly the same name, living at the same address. So just how does a scan of the CT bill help with that?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Probably so they don't have t get off their arse or hit a few keys.

Reply to
harry

Obvious really. Without the scan you could be anybody applying in the name of a genuine resident, a cunning commuter for instance.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I don't know, I think several round here need the bar code or Phone equiv on the bill to be scanned but from what I can tell most of the time the residents are not clever enough to use the system, as the council have alternative systems for paper users. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Someone else could apply in your name (e.g. a commuter) vut that only works if they are allowed to give another address (or it's all electronic).

More likely, it's oursourced and Serco (or whoever) don't have access to the records.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Surely the permit would ONLY be posted to an address where the residents permit was valid and possibly limited to X number per household?

Reply to
alan_m

Posted? Hackney has no physical permit. Enforcement officers check the reg. no. against the online database. That stops people getting away with Photoshopped permits. But leaves cloned plates.

Reply to
Robin

Having just had a dispute with the parking dept at our council I can tell you that they don't have access to other data on the councils systems.

It right that they don't as it increases the security of the data if you restrict it.

So one dept may well ask for proof even if another has issued that proof.

Reply to
dennis

I?m no lover of councils, as I was recently selectively de-hired (well actually, in the end they offered me the same job on a lower wage and said it was equivalent, and I said no thanks! (They couldn?t understand why I would do that!).

Anyways, I did get a parking disk delivered to our address with someone else?s name. I think they may have just selected the wrong address on line. But I did wonder if they would call in a couple of days to see if something had been delivered for them ?In Error?.

They would then have just such a piece of paper as you describe and (if they gathered some other stuff) could go applying for things like passport, change of title at land registry, mortgage, etc, etc (I do know someone who had this happen, his (buy to let) house was in someone else?s Name & with a mortgage! He only found out when he found the mortgage co had changed the locks as the mortgagee had defaulted!

Reply to
cpvh

It's worth using the Land Registry's Property Alert system to detect that sort of fraud ...

Andy Burns

And how do they get hold of the pass, which is posted to the registered address?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think that is the explanation. Although wouldn't they have access to the electoral register? And of course you pay by credit card online. Which would also confirm your name.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How do you think we manage with the prison service vetting that requires a utility bill? Not many 18 year olds get utility bills.

Reply to
ARW

I was slightly amazed to read an advert from our local council last month launching discount pay&display parking for residents (we're very touristy) which finished "if you already have a resident's parking permit, there's no need to apply, we'll add you on automatically" !

Wow! Actually using a bit of common sense!

Reply to
jgh

Councils have their heads up their arses.

I have a blue badge, but to park in Canterbury Councils area you have to register online. Difficult for people who don't have internet access.

They require a password that must have 8 letters, 1 capital letter, 1 number and a symbol!

Reply to
TMH

I'm wondering if the pillocks who use odd spacing on their vanity number plates will have a problem.

I'm wondering how cost effective Canterbury will find it for the small car parks - or perhaps they won't bother, since they still have to run on- street parking.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It's going all-ANPR in Canterbury and a good thing too, although I can see blue bodgers may have a problem.

Reply to
Tim Streater

<snip>

Maybe a handheld ANPR device not fixed ones that are used at carpark entrance/exits.

As a Blue Badge is for the person not any particular the vechicle and Blue Badges can park almost anywhere I can't see how ANPR will work with them particulary well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Wouldn't have thought so. Although such plates (sometimes with italic fonts) should not be allowed.

Good question, I don't know the answer. You could email Ben Fitter.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Unless you also give a number plate when you register. Perhaps TMH could advise.

Reply to
Tim Streater