Personal information in official email - best practice

I've just received an invitiation from my local council to switch to paperless billing.
The email contains:
My Title + Surname My Postcode and House Number My Account/Council Tax Reference Number My Account key for logging in on-line
A link to the their site and of course my email address.
Armed with that information I can login, change my email address, switch to paperless billing and see a summary of my details.
Seeing as Council tax is a key element in identity proof am I being paranoid that the council have not followed best practice, and if they haven't is there a good reference I can use if I point this out to them?
--
AnthonyL

On 03/02/2017 09:55, AnthonyL wrote:

If you log on and change the password you should be ok.
However what does the account allow you to do?
What are you worried about?

An email print out is not going to be suitable as (part) proof of identity. Far too easy to forge.
You'd generally need a paper bill (which would be sent to your address) and a photo one like driver's licence.
--
*If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?

And is utterly useless to prove anything;
http://www.replaceyourdocs.com/
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 34th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
On 2017-02-03, jim <k> wrote:

Presumably meaning they're really good at producing forged documents?
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 34th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
On 03/02/17 11:19, Huge wrote:

Blimey! Never heard of them, but ISTM what they are doing is a bit dodgy to say the least.
I was very amused by the Trustpilot review page for ReplaceYourDocs. The third review (from someone called Stott Emerald) has been removed because it might breach Trustpilot guidelines. In their reply, Replaceyourdocs says "User claims nothing was done, the document was emailed to him on the 23rd January. User then became threatening and claimed he would have 400 friends post negative reviews on trustpilot if we did not refund. Screenshot can be provided of this email."
Now would that be a real screenshot or a Replaceyourdocs screenshot? ;-)
--

Jeff

True. It's about time we moved into the 20th century (let alone the 21st) and had proper ID cards.
--
*I pretend to work. - they pretend to pay me.

http://www.replaceyouridcard.com/
--
Adrian C

Nonsense.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 34th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.

Then we'll just stick with council bills, etc.
--
*If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried *

I'd rather that than "Papieren, bitte".
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 35th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.

Nailed it.
--
"The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to
lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores

You've got one. Your passport. Why do you think we need yet more bureaucracy?
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10

a passport is too big and bulky to carry in your wallet.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

The UK is a civilised country where it's not a requirement to carry ID all the time. (Different story in my other adopted country).
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 16:49:17 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

I wouldn't have minded an ID card if a). it hadn't been compulsory, b). it wasn't so expensive, c). it wasn't a criminal offence not to carry it. As it is, for convenience only, I've just applied for my new, over-70, driving licence. I've no intention of driving, but given the difficulties at times with ID it seemed an easy way to go - and a bit cheaper than a passport!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
PeterC wrote:

That's what some US states do - you can get a "driving license" even if you can't drive - it shows you have no entitlement to drive but can still be used as ID. We could quite easily introduce that here, just allow DVLA to issue license cards that show "no entitlement" against all categories.
Mike

Isn't that just an identity card by another name?
I've not really got firm views either way - but am rather suspicious of those who are dead set against them.
--
*I went to school to become a wit, only got halfway through.

And that attitude is one of the reasons I'm dead set against them.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 36th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.

Not really susrprised. But I'd be more impressed by some firm reasons why they'd be a bad thing.
--
*I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges*