OT: Coolest sound ever - golf ball on frozen lake

It sounds a little bit like the radar sound on the old TV shows. There was a familiar tone way at the end too. I bet everyone of us made that sound whether cold, hot, tired, hungry, etc.
Reply to
Dean Hoffman
On Oct 25, 2020 at 4:24:13 PM MST, "David_B" wrote <xOnlH.197982$ snipped-for-privacy@fx25.ams:
The sounds at the start sound a lot like when we through rocks across the ice on the lake near us.
Reply to
Snit
I think it only works with decent ice. All the balls will be at the other side.
> So where are the holes? One assumes you keep on losing balls? > Brian
Reply to
Commander Kinsey
Cool! And I've just remembered where I first heard that sound. As an 8 year old playing on thin ice on the local reservoirs. It's the ice cracking and echoing through the whole sheet of ice.
Me and my friend at that age were told off by some ice skaters that were skating in the middle of the reservoir (it was thicker ice then), because we were smashing up the ice at the edge. The morons actually believed that the ice in the middle was held up by the ice at the edge, and that if we continued the whole thing would sink. FFS even at 8 I had a better grasp of physics than them.
Reply to
Commander Kinsey
On Oct 27, 2020 at 11:54:28 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote <op.0s5tg212wdg98l@glass>:
Oops!
Reply to
Snit
Are you doing what I do and thinking in audio inside your head? As I type things like through, I "hear" the word and have to consult the rest of the sentence to determine which one to use.
Reply to
Commander Kinsey
On Oct 27, 2020 at 2:08:42 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote <op.0s5zoskowdg98l@glass>:
Yup. Absolutely I do that. And today running around multitasking as I make meals, help kids with school work (their school is being stupid... and they have some actual questions), responding to too much here, working on a car, helping someone with tech issues (nothing big... an older person I live near but doing it all online because of the pandemic... oh, and playing a form of online 3d checkers with a friend.
Reply to
Snit
Indeed it is.
Some interesting images here:-
Canal ice breaking boats - worth a Google!
You've led a charmed life! ;-)
Reply to
David_B
Teachers are usually quite thick. The saying is "if you can't do, teach". Home schooling is best if you have the time.
I did find it funny when my teacher would say "don't be smart". They didn't like it when I told them that was the point of school.
Two things that always need attention - cars and computers. I have an 18 year old car and 6 computers to maintain.
Er..... I just sorted my elderly neighbour's cordless phones. Does that count? He's lucky he didn't blow up his house, he had put alkaline batteries in it instead of rechargeables. I guess at trickle charge they don't blow up, just leak. And as I've said before, I ignore the "pandemic", it's just an extreme version of flu, and we don't panic every time one of those comes round.
I'm playing Fallout 4.
Reply to
Commander Kinsey
I want a
I've broken ice by hand. Have you ever swum across a semi frozen lake? It's quite cool to make a channel through the ice.
I vandalised a lot more than ice. Did I ever mention the CO2 extinguishers?
Reply to
Commander Kinsey
Bullshit. It floats. Think of ice that large without water under it. It couldn't hold its own weight. The middle ice is supported by the water alone. A large sheet of ice in the water will not sink if it's not attached.
Reply to
Commander Kinsey
In article <yh1mH.385725$ snipped-for-privacy@fx37.iad, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...
Then why does your wife Anne Glasser post on community blogs that there are dirty dishes in the sink, the house is unkempt and that her husband, that's you snit Michael Glasser, does nothing?
Don't bother to answer.
Just so you know, your post has been sent to Arizona Department of Economic Security so it can be added to your file as further proof that you are capable of working and should not be collecting a taxpayer funded check.
Reply to
Singh Singh
I just LOVE the shark's teeth on the bow!
No, I've not done that. But I have leaped from a Sauna into an ice-covered swimming pool - in Berlin before the wall was taken down!
IIRC you did, and I admonished you for throwing them to the ground from a great height!
Reply to
David_B

Site Timeline Threads