Golf ball lamps.

Notice the tungsten type are now NLA new - TLC no longer sell them.

Given they tend to be used where the look of the actual lamp matters - like say round a mirror - a poor show, unless you're going to ban all tungsten.

Sadly the LEDs I've seen look nothing like the same.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Stock up direct from Crompton?

Andy Burns

Use Ping Pong balls instead?

Adrian Caspersz

They're an 'interesting' design of lamp. Each time one blows, it takes out the MCB. Unlike most of the other tungsten I'm still using.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

regards light output or quality. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

And heat (400W for say ten bulbs). You must be appearing out of your house with rosy cheeks, and baked on makeup.

I guess the main issue with mains LED golf balls on a mirror is the rear of the bulb is dark, as it's normally covering up some electronics.

There are these,

that 1W is gonna look pretty poor.

Think a roll-your-own low voltage LED solution would work fine, colour and light output (how many K?) no problem.

However at the end of the day sticking with tried, tested and ancient is admittedly less work ...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

They are on a switch, separate to the room lights. So only on when needed. For shaving, in my case. I'm too old for makeup to be of any use. ;-)

Quite. Another disadvantage of having a built in PS. It could be incorporated in the fitting, leaving the actual lamps looking better.

Heh heh - pretty used to that with most LEDs.

And looks rather nice when switched off too. Which is most of the time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Probably no internal fusible element.

Reply to
John Rumm

Clear or opaque. How about these?

Andy Bennet

Reply to
Andy Burns

The Natural Philosopher

If you're happy with pearl bulbs rather than visible filaments then Osram Parathom Classic P40 4W B22D 2700K look as good as the real thing to me. I would prefer clear rather then pearl as I like the filament refracted through the ribbed glass shades, but that is probably asking too much. These are probably brighter than 40W bulbs, but CRI is mediocre at 80.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Opaque. Now that's an interesting concept for a light bulb. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Arf. Perhaps he means translucent.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Pearl would be the normal designation for a non-clear light bulb.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The correct marketing term is 'pearlescent' IIRC :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ones I have are marked opal on the box. Pearl tends to be not even all over the lamp. These are - except you can just about see the filament through the coating.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

With mirror lighting, I'd say you want the visible lamp to be as diffused as possible. A naked filament would give more 'glare'

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Proper golf ball lamps are SES. A larger fitting makes them less round.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

This doesn't look too shabby:

Richard