Reproofing solution have I been had?

My caravans awning was leaking slightly, on its last trip out, so I decided to have a go at reproofing it...

I bought a gallon of a solution described as suitable for reproofing canvas and manmade type canvasses. Following the instructions I set the caravan and its awning up, to support the awning whilst I applied it, giving the material a thorough soaking in the solution. I then left it up to dry thoroughly. Eventually it rained and I was able to check to see how much difference it had made.

It wasn't any better. The label on the container was marked UN1300/1, that code suggests it is nothing more than turpentine substitute - am I correct please, before I start ranting at the chemical company selling the solution? UN1300 is turps substitute, but what might be the /1 on the end of the number?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Sounds like their idea was to remelt whatever was on there and hope it bunged up the leaks, Ahem they had obviously never dealth with British rain. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

It certainly hasn't made any difference to the water resistant qualities of the awning or an anorak I had intended it for.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

If it is any consolation, I have attempted to reproof rain jackets with Nikwax re-proofing spray. Nikwax is a good make, but the jackets still let water in.

Reply to
GB