If you like squeaky floor... Lino.

Today's top tip having ripped some carpet out of a room and replaced it with lino, have a good walk around rocking from side to side on all the boards and tighten any loose ones.

Because having been unaware of squeaks before it's now unbearable, it's going to have to come up.

Reply to
R D S

will also make the lino split along the movement line, assuming you mean 'lino' and not cushion floor.

Reply to
Andrew

?Nairn marmoleum, made in Kirkcaldy and other places.

Andrew

In the kitchen, the mighty kitchen, the lino sleeps tonight...... Yes sadly my stairs also creak but I will put up with it as the carpet is still good! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The T&G was supposed to be glued, but in the 70's no-one bothered. My floors creak like crazy after all the hot weather of late.

The only cure is to pull down the ceilings below and screw/glu some extra panels of 18mm plywood on the underside so that all the unsupported T&G joints are held together. Either that or fit a noggin to every joint, or have a 'fire' and get the ins co to pay.

Today they glue the T&G and glue it onto the I-beams as well. When the glue has set they cut out the rectangle where the stairs will go through.

Try getting that up, to fiddle with the wiring or fix a leak.

Reply to
Andrew

No, chipboard is not strong enough to do secret nailing, and apart from which it is T&G on all four sides and it is the unsupported joints between the joists that squeak (AFAIK) if they are not glued.

Reply to
Andrew

Andrew explained on 23/08/2020 :

I understand they don't lift the board or panel usually, what they do now is to use a large hole cutter to cut a hand sized hole, to gain access under the floor.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

An 'emergency' plumber had to fix a leak in my house when the first owner was living there. Looks like the plumber just used a club hammer to smash a hole in the 18mm chip board and then used a collection of bits of 2x1 to vaguely support the fragments back in 'position'.

Reply to
Andrew