Tiles or Lino?

I know this is a naff question but which is best? I dont mean proper tiles, I mean sticky back tiles you buy for two or three quid a box from the DIY.

My OH says tiles are no good and they spoil the floor and wants lino. However, I have found lino to be inclined to cover problems - like rot and leaks because the water goes under neath and you dont see it.

I dont even find it easier to put down. Tiles on the other had seem difficult to replace. I have some in my kitchen which are worn and need replacing but getting them up is a real ***. Lino comes up easy ( unless you are daft enough to glue it down all over!)

So which is best?

Reply to
sweetheart

Isn't there a lot of potential for moisture getting down between the tiles and causing the same problems, though? At least with lino you only have to seal it at the room edges.

You could always put cement backer board down before you tile - it'll give a good flat surface for the tiles but will keep moisture away from any wood underneath. Not sure what it costs there, but I paid $30 (what, about 15 quid) per 8x4' 1/4" sheet the other week (and that was without shopping around - I suspect I could have got it cheaper elsewhere)

Having said that, I did the bathroom floor at my parents' place with ply sheet and sticky-back square tiles 15 years ago and it's still going strong with no sign of moisture having leaked between the tiles.

Just glue it down onto thin ply and ditch the ply too if you ever replace the lino.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Do you really mean lino as in linoleum are some form of modern vinyl floor covering?

Real linoleum is very good stuff and hard wearing but expensive and tricky to lay as it's not very flexible and will crack. It will need a good smooth surface underneath but that applies to sticky tiles and vinyl as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

One's hard and can come up at the joins, the other's soft, insulated and jointless. Other than that theyre very similar. Both can cause problems on a damp slab.

NT

Reply to
NT