Zanzibar effect

Interesting one about multi-meters in a BL service instruction booklet.

To set the TPS (throttle position sensor) as fitted to early (1980) Rover V8 Lucas injection.

It is a large carbon pot sitting across 5v (nearly) and provides a variable voltage out by throttle position. Quite a chunky device with twin wipers, so a lot more butch than the average volume control.

It is adjustable, and the original way to set was to use a BL special tool. You set it to null a couple of LEDs. No doubt cost a fortune.

The later Land Rover guide gives a method using a volt meter. Pic shows a DVM - rather than an AVO 8, etc. You connect to output and ground and set it to 0.325v +/-0.025v.

It's the note below which is interesting:- CAUTION: The following adjustment must be made using a voltmeter set to a maximum scale of not more than 10v. If a voltmeter of more than 10 volt scale is used the potentiometer will be irreparably damaged.

Try as I might, I ain't got a fooking clue what they're on about. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Almost a Rheostat.

Reply to
jon

Someone in this group gave me two enormous rheostats years ago. They are really useful for acting as dummy loads when testing PSUs.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Whoever wrote that was a technical writer who didn't have a clue.

I suspect the intention was to prevent anyone from applying 10V to the potentiometer but somehow lost in the translation.

Reply to
Fredxx

My take.

A typical DVM will be 3.5 digits.

On the 10V scale, the display has the possibility of showing between

0.00 to 10.00

So you can see the allowed limits low - 0.300 high - 0.350

On a higher scale, say 30V

the display will show just 0.00 to 30.0. You lose a digit of display, they can't do anything with the leading 1 digit.

So you can see the allowed limits displayed as low - 0.30 high - 0.35

If your component is set above 0.35 (say 0.358), you won't be aware of it until you see the smoke.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Erm. Rereading that, I think I may have written some bollocks there.

Somebody correct it.

(By a similar logic(?) the 0-3V range would not work)

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

It only has a very limited range of adjustment - fixing holes are slotted.

But just how would any setting cause smoke? The track is wired across 5v. The output is 0-5v, depending on throttle position.

Perhaps it was written for the average garage mechanic. Who doesn't know what a decimal point is. And tries to force it round to get 35 volts out of it. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I must admit to not quite following it. ;-)

I did wonder if it was to do with the current taken by a 'mechanical' volt meter. The vast ancient units from the 1920s.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Dave Plowman (News) submitted this idea :

The higher the set voltage range, the lower the current absorbed by the meter.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

The higher the voltagee range, the same is the current absorbed by te meter for the same percentage of full scale deflection

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Quite. Although a massive old mechanical voltmeter might draw more current than a newer one of the same.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News