Multi Function Test Meters

Has anyone tried or used one of these:

seems remarkably cheap compared to many of the multi function meters.

Reply to
John Rumm

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:44:14 +0100, John Rumm mused:

It's not that cheap actually, pretty much most of the manufacturers do a multifunction tester for well under 500GBP.

Reply to
Lurch

ok, well cheap compared to the likes of the Robin multi function boxes, or a pile of separate testers.

Oh, better still ;-)

I was toying with the idea of "upgrading" my collection of standalone Megger testers to a combined device, since some of my current ones have some limitations (the continuity/insulation resistance tester only does low ohms to 0.1 ohm resolution, the RCD tester does not have a ramp test or the timer duration for testing time delayed RCDs, and the loop tester does not have a non RCD tripping mode, or ability to read PSC/PFC directly).

This one intrigues me:

does the 17th edition introduce that will require tests not currently supported on existing kit?

Reply to
John Rumm

Do give us some feedback if you get one.

I'll be in the market for one in the longer term, but last time borrowed a high-end 16th Ed tester (can't remember the brand) off a mate and found the device ideal in every way.

Reply to
dom

The only thing that this box offers over a minimal sixteenth tester is RCD trip current?

The OP should note that a minimum multi function 15th tester can be got with calibration and VAT for just under 300.

Such a box won't have nice things like auto-null on continuity, DC saturation of the RCD during loop testing etc. etc.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I think that most of them have that as well though...? If you compare this one with the 16th edition version:

spec looks pretty similar

I already have a pile of Megger beasties that meet 15th edition requirements, nut as I mentioned the lack of things like not trip loop test, and a high res low ohms range are annoying.

Reply to
John Rumm

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 12:28:59 +0100, John Rumm mused:

Hmm, as I'm about to buy a new multifunction tester in readiness for the upcoming inevitable 'approvals body of my choice' registration I suppose I'd better find out if there is actually a difference! I noticed a while ago a few on eBay were selling stuff for 17th edition but I put that down to pillocks talking bollocks.

Currently looking at the Alphatek MI3000.

Reply to
Lurch

Looks like you've been re revisited by the re re disease!

Reply to
clot

So what are "Loop P-N and contact voltage on an RCD" when they're at home?

Reply to
John Stumbles

Hmm, butt ugly, but nice amount of info on the LCD. The free calibration drops the price in real terms quite a bit as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 23:47:03 +0100, John Rumm mused:

Probably NICEIC actually, saves all the explanations as to who the others are when people request NIC certs.

Yeah, I' not too bothered about looks. Curently I've got a Seaward SBS7671 and that looks a bit cheap and nasty tbh so anything is an improvement. Got a couple of calls back with prices from other places for that and one of the Kewtech ones and no-one can touch their prices. The PAT tester I bought last year though I got a better price on from CEF with one of their own branded MTE units.

The MI3000 doesn't look too different from the Fluke 1652 which most people seem to be touting as the standard tester for stocking on the shelves.

Reply to
Lurch

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 21:57:35 GMT, John Stumbles mused:

Loop PN is phase and netral loop results. Other older testers do loop on phase earth only. RCD contact voltage is something to do with, erm,

Reply to
Lurch

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 00:40:14 +0100, Lurch mused:

And also, the rechargeableness was another thing I wanted as my other tester eats batteries. :(

Reply to
Lurch

You have been reinfected, Lurch!

Reply to
clot

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 23:57:13 GMT, "clot" mused:

Works fine here. I think in the end I decided it was your problem, not mine.

Reply to
Lurch

Its a bit of both by the looks of it. You subject title is "Re: Re: Re: Re: Multi Function Test Meters", however it threads correctly on my newsreader.

Reply to
John Rumm

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 18:45:46 +0100, John Rumm mused:

Yeah, that's what I meant, Agent threads the multiple Re: replies in the correct places in the correct threads here.

Reply to
Lurch

Yes, threading OK at this end. Just the multiple re's.

Reply to
clot

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 18:34:00 GMT, "clot" mused:

Then stop whining.

Reply to
Lurch

Sorry I meant to say 16th tester . Mine's the bottom of the range Kewtech.

Reply to
Ed Sirett