Repair a broken set screw in ball-type faucet

I was trying to repair to diverter on my kitchen's ball-type faucet, but I couldn't remove the bonnet. Knowing I need a better wrench, I put the handle back on, but the set screw busted while I was tightening it. Part of it is cracked. I was told I need a new handle, but I'm wondering if that's true. The set screw looks like it would normally come out if it weren't crusted into the handle. I figured with a Dremel I could work it out without much fuss. Do they make standard set screws that I could use instead? Am I wrong on my assumption that I could remove the set screw?

Reply to
Adam Preble

you can drill it out and retap using a slightly bigger diameter screw.

figure in drill bit and tap new handle is cheaper

put anti seeze on allen in new handle to avoid a reoccurence

Reply to
hallerb

The set screws are usually made of stronger material than the handle. Unless you are very skilled at drilling and tapping things, just throw it out and get a new one.

Reply to
Bob

Thanks everybody, I just got a new handle today.

Reply to
Adam Preble