Plastic Faucet Stem - Stripped Screw

On my bathtub the faucet stem screw that holds the handle on, is stripped. This cartridge stem does not appear to be easily available, in fact no one has been able to determine the manufacturer of the faucet and it is not labelled. The cartridge turns off the water just fine, but the handle keeps falling off. The hole in the handle is not big enough for a larger screw. I suppose I could drill it out, but I'd rather find another method to fix this, and besides I am afraid that a larger diameter screw might split the shaft. I dont want to glue the screw in there or I'd never be able to get the cartridge out if it needed work. I already tried to put a paper matchstick on the hole but that only lasted a short time. Then I tried aluminum foil but that only lasted a short time too. I am not willing to rip the bathroom wall apart to replace the entire faucet, not mentioning the expense. Is there an easy way to fix this so the handle will stay on?

Note: I said the cartridge and shaft are plastic, but they are a soft plastic, probably what I think is called nylon.

Thanks

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry Atrick

1st, ask at your local hardware if they have faucet repair stems. If they do, take yours out and let them patch it. If that doesn't work, while at the hardware pick up a tube of "J.B. Weld" Clean and dry the stripped out hole, mix the J.B. Weld and put in the hole and assemble the parts, just snug the screw. Let set 24 hours or more before using. J.B.Weld needs to be in everyone's tool kit.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

I use JB Weld all the time for things, but like I said in my original message, I DO NOT want to glue it. I'd have to smash the handle to ever repair the faucet again. If there was some sort of sleeve I could glue in there, that would be different, but this is about a 1/4 (common size) shaft. There isnt much plastic to work with.

As far as the hardware store patching it, I never heard of such a thing. If I could identify the faucet they could order a new one for me, but I cant ID the darn thing.

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry Atrick

I have 2 different hardware stores whin 5 miles of my home that have trays and trays of parts for repairing things in the house, including all kinds of faucets and valves. When I need repair parts, I just take the bad part with me to the hardware store and hand it to the clerk. They sell enough of these parts that most of the time they only have to go to 1 or 2 trays to get the replacement part without the manufacturer's name. My house was built in 1962 and they still have repair parts for every faucet and valve in the house.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

I bet you live in a large city. I live in the country. Our hardware stores are places that sell nails, screws, and have one of each common hand tool in stock. I suppose I will have to drive to a large city to get what I need. Too bad they dont have an online plumbing store that has a picture of each part. Better yet, if companies that make faucets and things like it, could put the name and model on the thing. I guess they must be ashamed of their products. I tend to buy generic food and generic toilet paper, but when I buy a faucet or other home hardware that will need repair at some point, i want a name brand. Unfortunately this faucet was in the house when I bought it.

Reply to
Gerry Atrick

Go to your local LOWES or Home Despot, spend the $30 on a replacement unit, and be done with it.

Reply to
Anonymous