ball-type faucet repair and silicone lubricant

So I bought a repair kit for my Delta ball-type kitchen faucet. After replacing the O-rings, I sprayed some silicon lubricant on a rag and applied some to the O-rings. I also decided to do this to both of the new valve seats (sprayed lubricant on the rag and applied to them), thinking that they were rubber and were going to have wear from the ball and handle. Then it dawned on me that the drinking water was coming through there, what an idiot!! I removed the valve seats and springs and ran them under hot water and paper towel dried them, also applying a paper towel into the openings in the faucet to grab anything else up. After re-assembling the faucet, I ran the hot water and then the cold water for a few minutes to try and clear anything out.

Now I know that silicone lubricant is not water soluble, so rinsing off may not have removed it all. The drinking water that comes from this faucet does go through a Brita filter first before consumption. Anything really to be worried about?

Thanks,

Scott

Reply to
Scot

I can't tell you how good or bad it may be to drink the silicone lube, but I do suggest not using lubes or other materials anywhere in the water system unless it is specifically recommended by the manufacturer of the hardware. Funny things happen when mixing materials and usually they are not good. What might seem like a good idea (If it moves lube it) may not be if the lube reacts with the specific type of material in the parts, like washers, which may be made out of many different kinds of materials.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

use food grade silicone spray next time for your add on lube but only if specified. for now why not just flush it out with aerator removed and 10 minutes of hot and 10 minutes of cold. wash out aerator parts, reinstall.

Reply to
buffalobill

Thanks. I ran out and purchased a new set of springs and valve sets. So I will remove the other ones and clean out the inside of the faucet with a rag, and do what you suggest with cleaning the aerator as well.

Reply to
Scot

I believe that most of these lubricants are siloxanes. Many of the siloxanes are FDA blessed for use in in vivo medical devices. I wouldn't loose sleep over it, but would recommend not doing it again without knowing exactly what the composition of the lubricant is.

Boden

Scot wrote:

Reply to
boden