Moen faucet problem

Hi: I have 2 Moen lavatory faucets that are hard to lift and open for water. I have cleaned them and re-applied a plumbing grease on the insides around the O rings but they are still very difficult to lift.

Do I need to replace the O rings, or is there a special Moen lubricant to use?

Thanks

Reply to
John

Maybe you over tightened the ring ? Back it off some. Its a common problem in plumming. You let any nut drip some then tighten by hand until the leak stops.

Replace the O rings if you have a black substance left on your fingers after handling. Vaseline is fine as a lubricant. Many here would prefer KY jelly, but is dissolves in water.

Reply to
<JP

Maybe

Perhaps on rare occasions

Totally false. The petroleum in vaseline can damage the neoprene O-ring in less than 24 hrs. You must use a non-petroleum lubricant, preferrably a clear silicone paste.

John, it sounds like your having problems with the old style brass (#1200) control. It was never intended to be taken apart by homeowners and lubricated.

Do yourself a favor and replace the old Moen control with the current composite (#1225) control. If they get hard to operate they are easily lubricated.

Doug

Reply to
PLUMBGURU2

Reply to
John

Ok Doug, you are right on Vaseline, but I used it on my own Valley made faucets. They still work fine !? Hmmmmm that was a couple years ago. Could be Plummers Luck. On over tightening.....I hire it seems ' relations' all are over 200 Lbs and 6'4'' they are a bit strong. If they put in a electric outlet, the home owner often complains they need a screwdriver with channel locks to unscrew the screws..... I HATE leaks from someone over tightening anything. Its a real time waster. I myself never had a leak in my whole life ! Yep.

lubricated.

Reply to
<JP

Your almost to that age where your gonna start leaking....hahhaaa

Reply to
Runningwater

Depends ?

Reply to