Leaking ball valve repair

I thought that ball valves were superior to the old valves with washers and packings. But I have one which is my water main shutoff, and after using it to shut off the water, it is now driping from below the handle. It's not a huge amount of water and I put a small pan under it, but I'm aftaid it may get worse.

Yea, I know I could change it, but I'd have to get the water utility to shut off the water first. But before getting into all of that, I'm wondering if there's a way to fix this one? Is there some sort of packing or an o-ring in there? Or should I just try to tighten the piece below the handle? (I know, if it's a packing or o-ring I'd still have to get the water shut off, and if that's the case I may as well just replace the valve.

Just thought I'd ask. I suppose I should google for some pictures of how these valves are built and put together. I still cant see how they get that ball piece inside of them. I doubt they mold the brass around that ball, which looks to be stainless steel (from the ones I have looked at in the store).

Reply to
Bud

Bingo. None of the ball valves I've seen for residential type use was repairable.

Reply to
trader_4

Look very closely.. One of the ends must be screwed or pushed onto the valve body after the ball is inserted. The seam on the end is hard to see. Left end on this picture:

There is something called valve stem packing. No idea if it would help:

Home Depot or Ace Hardware should have it. It looks like string.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Check out this video. Well, actually it's the audio that makes it all worth while.

DerbyDad03

Ball valves are than to gate and globe valves because they contain less parts, are easier to turn, easily confirm open/shut position and withstand integrity with unused longevity. Much also depends on the brand, just as another other product. If it wore out at a young age, it could be a cheap brand.

Overall, even if you could "repair" it, you would still need to shut off the water, as you stated. Your best option is replacement.

Reply to
Meanie

See if there is a shutoff at your water meter.

In my neighborhood none of the houses were built with a master shutoff. Al l of us have a T-handle wrench for emergencies. The meter is in a box in t he yard out by the curb, and there's a shutoff right there. I don't think the city is thrilled with everybody having their own wrench, but that $8 in vestment can save a lot of damage if something goes wrong, and we all use i t to shut off the water when we change a washer, etc.

Can't help you with ball valve repair, never tried that.

Reply to
TimR

All of us have a T-handle wrench for emergencies. The meter is in a box in the yard out by the curb, and there's a shutoff right there. I don't thin k the city is thrilled with everybody having their own wrench, but that $8 investment can save a lot of damage if something goes wrong, and we all use it to shut off the water when we change a washer, etc.

Why do you have to shut off the main valve just to change a washer?

I don't know if you mean a faucet washer or a washing machine, but it doesn't really matter. Each fixture should have it's own shut off so it can be shut off without impacting the entire house. If they don't, that's not on the town, that's on the homeowner.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

In theory you are correct.

But I've never seen a house where all the angle stops shut off completely. Even if 9 out of 10 work fine, the washer you need to change is guaranteed to be on sink number 10.

Reply to
TimR