Lubricating ball valves

I have just bought a pair of 1-1/2" brass ball valves, which turn out to be inconveniently stiff to turn. I don't think they're faulty, just big, new and tight. I think lubricating them might help.

Products easily to hand are the water displacer that dare not speak its name and also SG85 spray-on white grease (see the bottom of

). I'd tend to go for the grease first but not sure if it will penetrate into the bearing areas.

Any reason not to do this? I'm thinking of the seal material (PTFE?) being damaged by solvents or whatever.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

inconveniently stiff to turn. I don't think they're

and also SG85 spray-on white grease (see the bottom

but not sure if it will penetrate into the bearing

damaged by solvents or whatever.

Is the valve approved for gas as well as water? I'm thinking gas-c*ck grease.

Reply to
Graham.

Presumably for use on water? Have you tried getting the moving bits wet? And don't foregt that the pipework will help holding the valve body when installed, they may feel stiff handheld but be OK when supported in the pipework.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have one which is hard to turn if the downstream tap is turned off. It is as though the downstream pressure fights against it. If I crack the tap open a little then the ball valve turns easily. I don't really understand why - but I put up with it - it is used to isolate my outside tap which needs opening anyway.

Reply to
John

5.co.uk/products.htm). I'd tend to go for the grease

I use them outside in the garden and just slip 12" of pipe over the handle so they turn with one finger, they will stay stiff for along time

Reply to
ransley

If it is for use with water, you should only use a WRAS approved lubricant.

Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

It's for use with seawater.