full flow ball valves

Having had trouble recently making a gate valve turn off fully, I replaced it with a full flow (Pegler make) ball valve. It works like a dream, so considering replacing all the gate valves in the CH & HW system.

Q The Screwfix catalog (page 286) shows 3 similar looking valves, with same stated spec but different coloured handles (yellow, red & blue). Also looked at a screwfix competing website which had them with/without chrome plating.

What's the difference & are there any limitations as to use for water

- eg pressure, temperature? What is the PN16 spec that screwfix state?

The screwfix ones appear to be no-name, Are they up to the same standard as the Pegler brand one I bought locally at over twice the price?

TIA

Reply to
jim_in_sussex

I have just bought several of the screwfix 'no name' ones - no performance info as I'm still in the process of fitting them. All will be used in low pressure water situations.

I wonder if the difference between these and the Pegler might be the plating. My screwfix ones have a textured (maybe 'as cast') finish and a silvery plating that looks like nickel. Maybe Pegler are polished chrome.

As for PN16, the standards websites want money for access ing the standard DIN or BS5163. The latter seems to predominately relate to gate valves.

regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

They're fine. I have several.

The colours are for colour coding.

I'd suggest:

'Blue' = cold water 'Red' = hot water 'Yellow' = gas

But there is nothing enforcing that. Most of mine are yellow and used on the cold water supply, except the main stopcock, which is a blue handled Pegler. Mine were marked as suitable for cold water, hot water, gas, oil and steam. I really don't think that there is any use on any central heating system that they wouldn't be suitable for.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I bought yellow ones too, because they were easier to get, and put coloured heatshrink tube over the handles, then a label to indicate function and finally a clear heatshrink sleeve over all of it.

This addresses an SWMBO nag of "what happens if it leaks when you're away?" It won't leak of course, but two minutes with the heat gun is better than earache.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Great idea!

I just arranged the valves so that

"all yellow handles vertical" = water softener off "all yellow handles horizontal" = water softener on blue handle = main stopcock

However, I bet no-one would notice and start fiddling with the valves and having water gush out as I don't actually possess the water softener...

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle