Ball valves vs. gas valves

Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is MUCH larger than a gas valve. The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode black pipe....

Opinions?

Reply to
Existential Angst

Yes it can, if it carries a label that says (WOG) on it

Reply to
RBM

Ball valves are the only type I use for natural gas. NG suppliers treat corrosive "sour gas" to keep it out of the domestic distribution network. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Depends on the ball valve. If it is WOG rated, it is good for gas. In SOME areas they need to have yellow handles for gas, in other areas red is OK.. Here in Ontario any WOG rated valve is OK. Most are certified for 600psi, which is EXTREME overkill.

Reply to
clare

Real good reason not to believe anything a Home Despot Droid tells you.

Reply to
clare

I am assuming that you are referring to small - 1/4. 3/8. 1/2" valves but as for the category of "ball valves" larger ones, say 2", 4", 6", etc. are commonly used in the gas industry. In fact if memory serves that are the valve of choice over gate valves for handling gas.

Reply to
J.B.Slocomb

What kind of ball valve? Water shut-off valves (PVC, brass) also come in "ball valve".

Reply to
a2rjh

If memory serves me right, WOG means it's rated for Water, Oil and Gas service which is what most of the ball valves I come across are. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Not overkill at all. Sure, for natural gas, but it can be used on high pressure oxygen, nitrogen, argon, and on and on. That same valve will find its way to industrial applications

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Heh, rarely is there this much consensus on an issue.... LOL

I'll spray paint the handle yellow, jic... :) In this case, I'm piping in my 15 kW genset, and depending on which table you use, I am sort of squeaking by, supply-wise, so I can use every sq in of orifice I can get. The diff between the two is quite a bit.

Reply to
Existential Angst

there's some really sketchy stuff at HD, so the droid may have been onto something when it comes to the stuff they sell.

My favorites are the plastic stemmed water cutoff valves for sinks and toilets that last about 3 cycles before they somehow fall apart. The brass nuts for the compression fittings are so thin and crappy they I've seen some just crack and spring a leak just a few years after installation.

somebody somewhere must be proud of the cost savings they came up with.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Why? It is good for "gas" which can be something else from residential natural gas and at much higher pressure.

Reply to
George

Obviously - but we were talking natural gas applications. The normal conical gas valves are only good for what? 45 psi???

Reply to
clare

Ball valves are only for using on your balls. Use then to stop impregnating women by shutting off your balls.... :)

Reply to
homeowner

Well....The Gas is not corrosive but the additive "mercaptan" is a reactive substance due to the sulphur. This is probably what he was referring to.

Reply to
thebbgroupltd

I have several ball valves rated for water, gas, oil and air. All od my gas shutoff valves in the house are "ball valves"

Reply to
clare