Gate valves vs. Ball valves.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of gate valves and full-bore Ball valves for mains water, and isolating parts of a CH system.
--

Graham.

A ball valve is to set the level of water in a header tank, a gate valve is use to shut off or allow a flow of water.
Two completely different uses.
Alan

Not the ball valve he means. The construction is similar to the small service valves one should fit in the feed to things. A rotating spherical shell in a spherical chamber, with holes that rotate in line with the pipes to open, and reverse to close.
To answer the OP, although others will know more...ball valves (in this context) give full flow, as do gate valves. Only ball valves give no flow; gate valves (a) leak a bit and (b) tend to jam. They're also much slower to operate.

A "globe" valve in fact. If there is sediment in the water a globe valve is probably better, since a gate valve may have difficulty seating properly in the presence of sludge.
--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Bob Eager wrote:

IME neither gives full flow.
Ball valves can leak too.

Not quite. There is such a thing as a lever ball valve and it is a good choice instead of a gate valve
Ball type float valves are deprecated technology

Maybe, but they are *far* more reliable than Torbeck type ones.
--
*I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Depends on your water. if lime isn't a probem, then a Torbeck will out-last the rubber seat of a traditional ball valve.
I always fit Torbecks to toilets because they fill faster (flow isn't throttled gradually as the cistern fills). I don't bother to use them for header tanks though.

I do live in a soft water area, though. But I'm not sure about outlast or if that matters given a ball valve rubber can last 25 years plus. I do know the one Torbeck I have has needed attention several times while the ball valves seem to go on for ever.

--
*Why don't you ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"?

Make that hard water area. ;-(
--
*Gravity is a myth, the earth sucks *

On 2006-08-21 19:23:47 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

It didn't seem right unless you had a Quills water softener.
On 2006-08-21 15:50:32 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

Usually crud in the mains and easily filtered out...

So what is the alternative to control the level in a water tank?

Generally, the alternative these days is not to have water tanks, except toilet cisterns.
Assuming this is not possible, you can use other types of float valve, such as Torbeck or Fluidmaster.
Christian.

Torbeck.

gate valves 'let by' and sometimes drop their 'gate' from the thread -
--
(.(*. .*).)
<.. NIK ..>
NikV wrote:

given the list of cons mentioned, why r they used?
NT
On 20 Aug 2006 16:09:36 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

They're cheap :-)
--
Frank Erskine

Frank Erskine wrote: > >given the list of cons mentioned, why r they used?

they're crap. Plumbers are old fashioned and dont like to change to easy fittings.
I am referring to flexible hose connections for whb's and flexible waste pipes etc they can be fitted in a few minutes whereas bending copper and cutting and joining pipes makes a big job out of a little one.
I always use the ball valve now for sheer convenience and ease of opening. gate valves almost always are stuck and you never know if they are open or closed.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

There is one case where they are useful, and that is when you want to accurately regulate flow (i.e. balancing different zones in CH system). You get better fine control with a gate valve than with a quarter turn ball valve

Yup, for use as service valves they are pants.
--
Cheers,

John.