Gate Valves

All of the gate valves (3) in my hot tank cupboard appear to be stuck/ seized open. Does anyone have any tips/ tricks for freeing them?

Thanks

Reply to
Jen D

Bite the bullet and replace them with full bore valves. These gate valves never seem to work when you need them - and never shut off the water completely anyway.

So saying some penetrating fluid down the spindle a few times over a day or so then brute force should free it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Having replaced gate valves in my last three houses, I see what you mean. However, I have replaced them each time with gate valves. I just make sure that they will work by operating them all twice a year.

Not operating them guarantees that they won't work when you need them.

Reply to
Bruce

They were crap from the day they were put in. Drain the system and replace tham with full bore quarter turn lever valves. They perform brilliantly and actually work as well.

Screwfix Full Bore Lever Ball Valve 22mm £4.99

You will never regret it.

(You may find you do not even have to change the olives over and the new will be a direct replacement for the old.)

Reply to
EricP

I've used them in the past, but I'm now using full bore ball valves, so far with success[*].

It's remembering to check them in the dark recesses that's the problem.

[*] I've given up using the smaller isolating valves due to unreliability. I may be using the wrong (too cheap) type.
Reply to
<me9

Plus Gas being the best to use *not* WD40. Diesel is reported to be good as well but a bit niffy for in the house and may well hang around in the airing cupboard making your sheets and towels smell of diesel. B-) WD40 is also a bit niffy as well.

Other wise it's replacement time, gate valves are OK but they do need to be fully closed, fully opened, fully closed, fully opened and then closed

1/4 to 1/2 a turn once or twice a year to ensure they don't seize and stand a chance of shutting off completely when required.

Full bore ball valves are much more relaible and easier to operate. Note ordinary "isolating" ball valves are not full bore.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

But check carefully before trying it. ISTR that the compression nuts on SF

22mm full bore valves have a finer thread than many other 22mm compression fittings.
Reply to
Roger Mills

Seek out the liquid form rather than the aerosol too. Easier to apply (well, maybe not upwards) and the can lasts longer as it's better targeted.

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 18:58:46 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@technologist.com wrote= :

I will have to do that, the aerosol is alright on big stuff outside but =

not so good for small/tiny inside. I squirt a bit into a small container= then drop it on but that means

Reply to
Dave Liquorice