OT: Coolest sound ever - golf ball on frozen lake

Is your past it and you want to borrow his?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Custard is best, it's a non-Newtonian fluid. You can run across it when it's not frozen.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Cool, but when presented with a frozen lake, why not go swimming?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Tell him to go barefoot.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Way too big to do that with the movements of a few people. The sheet of ice was about 200-300m across. Think about it, not a lot of pressure could be exerted on the edge of it touching the edge of the reservoir, or the ice would just snap. Consider walking across a huge sheet of glass supported at the edges. It would snap easily. 99.9999% of the support must come from the water, evenly, all the way under it.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

On Oct 28, 2020 at 3:49:19 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote <op.0s7y0hq7wdg98l@glass>:

I knew that about water and cornstarch, but not about custard. Interesting.

Reply to
Snit

On Oct 28, 2020 at 3:50:19 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote <op.0s7y15l3wdg98l@glass>:

They tend to be cold for some reason.

Reply to
Snit

On Oct 28, 2020 at 6:18:19 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote <op.0s75wtxxwdg98l@glass>:

He can wear what he wants... I just wish he would walk away and stop following me.

Reply to
Snit

On Oct 28, 2020 at 6:20:05 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote <op.0s75zrtywdg98l@glass>:

Ok, yeah -- at that size I would not expect the weight of a few people to matter much.

Reply to
Snit

You've just made me imagine 7 people on a small piece of ice running back and forth arguing about balancing and falling in.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why not just use your killfile? It's really quiet up my end.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why is that a problem? The human body is self regulating.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Water apparently becomes a bit like that at very high speed. Alledgedly if you hit it fast enough it becomes more solid than you expect. Yet divers have dived from a lot higher, perhaps you have to pierce it with your hands.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

On Oct 28, 2020 at 8:12:38 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote <op.0s8a7cydwdg98l@glass>:

But belly flops still hurt!

Reply to
Snit

On Oct 28, 2020 at 8:11:32 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote <op.0s8a5ixwwdg98l@glass>:

To some extent. And some people's do a better job than others.

Reply to
Snit

On Oct 28, 2020 at 8:11:12 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote <op.0s8a4yhpwdg98l@glass>:

His prime account is set to read-only. Some of his socks are currently as well.

Reply to
Snit

On Oct 28, 2020 at 8:10:51 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote <op.0s8a4dtiwdg98l@glass>:

I watched some of the absurd Kobra Kai show and they had two kids balancing on a road wooden platform on water... learning to anticipate how the other would move or some such nonsense.

Reply to
Snit

[....]

Not on ice - but you'll get the gist!

And ..... my boat licence fee helps PAY for these cretins!!!

Enjoy :-D

Reply to
David_B

Cool!.. But....

Why so much safety gear? And why didn't they just wade into the water to do it, or use a proper boat?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Sounds like the team player bullshit activities they have for companies in the UK.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey