OT Car Insurance

It's that time of year again and both car insurances are up for renewal.
Notices have come through, wander off to some cute furry animal website to get a feel for the "going rate" and find that for one car I can get cover for about 150 less and the other about 100 less, both from Admiral. Not checked the fine details of cover but the major things are all there/same and having two cars may get further discount...
So are Admiral a sensible company to deal with or would a barge pole be more use? At least it's a name I recognise as being in the insurance business for a while, unlike most of the companies in the list that Sergi gave me.
--
Cheers
Dave.

It's that time of year again and both car insurances are up for renewal.
Notices have come through, wander off to some cute furry animal website to get a feel for the "going rate" and find that for one car I can get cover for about 150 less and the other about 100 less, both from Admiral. Not checked the fine details of cover but the major things are all there/same and having two cars may get further discount...
So are Admiral a sensible company to deal with or would a barge pole be more use? At least it's a name I recognise as being in the insurance business for a while, unlike most of the companies in the list that Sergi gave me.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Try at least one other comparison site. I did and saved a tenner with the
On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 13:23:17 -0000, Mr Pounder wrote:

Not fussed about the odd tenner but 250 quid over the two cars is a very different matter.

I might have a little dig...

Also not that fussed about the free toy, kids are getting a bit old for cuddly toys these days. B-) About to call Admiral as they can't quote me online for two cars on the "multicar" policy as they want more details about the business use. Little bells ringing to signify price hiking because I'm not a wage slave on SDP + Commute.
--
Cheers
Dave.

I read it somewhere. Good luck in finding it - THEY don't want us to know.

The toy was for me. I likes that sort of thing :-)

Oh FFS, it's hardly hidden, just look at the banner at the top of their group homepage http://www.admiralgroup.co.uk /
Some people are too quick to spot a conspiracy.
Other insurers are part of a different group, Churchill and Direct Line for instance, IIRC.
MBQ

Oh FFS, it's hardly hidden, just look at the banner at the top of their group homepage http://www.admiralgroup.co.uk /
Some people are too quick to spot a conspiracy.
Other insurers are part of a different group, Churchill and Direct Line for instance, IIRC.
MBQ
http://www.adrianflux.co.uk/blog/2007/08/who-owns-your-insurer.html
On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 14:04:19 -0000, Mr Pounder wrote:

Range 'em and the first thing the machine said was they are EUI Ltd based in Cardiff. Something to start digging with...

I really don't get insurance pricing. I now have quotes, as combined totals for the two cars, of:
Aviva Renewal:    770.00         (730 if I renew online but plus summat for CC)
Furry Site:    544.84 with Admiral         (after updating cover/driver details was 509.86)         (possibly two free toys!)
Admiral:    642.92 on the phone direct, multicar.
Crazy...
--
Cheers
Dave.

On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 14:04:19 -0000, Mr Pounder wrote:

Range 'em and the first thing the machine said was they are EUI Ltd based in Cardiff. Something to start digging with...

I really don't get insurance pricing. I now have quotes, as combined totals for the two cars, of:
Aviva Renewal: 770.00 (730 if I renew online but plus summat for CC)
Furry Site: 544.84 with Admiral (after updating cover/driver details was 509.86) (possibly two free toys!)
Admiral: 642.92 on the phone direct, multicar.
Crazy...
I have always wanted a free meercat toy. Ahem ....................
On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 15:27:41 -0000, "Mr Pounder"

Aviva also trade as "Quote me happy" on an online only basis for a big price reduction.
Expect a Right Royal Kafkaesque run - around scanning NCD letters and sending them in only to be rejected (because they couldn't read the VAT number/company registration at the foot of the letter.
But what the hell it's ca$h, (the folding stuff)

Fat chance, think Rocking Horse sh*t.

DerekG

I've *never* been asked for proof of no claims. The latest policy just says I must hang on to the old renewal notice in case they decide to ask for it, presumably in the event of a claim.
MBQ
On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 11:39:56 -0800 (PST), Man at B&Q wrote:

Niether have I, as for NCD letters or information about any NCD applied I've not seen that for years, like 20+ years...
I guess these days as all the insurers share data provided you are close enough and own up to any claims or driving offences they don't really care. In fact as they don't tell you how much the NCD is worth I doubt it's the massive percentage that it used to be. And of course you can now "protect" it for 25/year which devalues it. It would be a powerful marketing tool to say 80% discount for 5 years no claims.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Which is a scam in itself
--
geoff

With Admiral it's stated on the renewal document. Nineteen years in my case, my two claims were "protected". Another plus for Admiral was that they didn't hike the premiums after I had claimed.
MBQ
In message

The insurance companies all have such details available on a common database
--
geoff

Yes. And as they already know the answers to all the questions they ask you, then why do they bother?
My proposal form came back with a windscreen claim (that I had forgotten) already filled in.
--
(\__/) M.
On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 09:55:48 +0000, Mark wrote:

I had something similar yesterday filled in the my details got a quote. Went back to it a bit later checked details and my last claim had appeared. I hadn't put it in orginally as the question was "in the last 3 years" and this was four years ago...
Curiously they wanted to know about driving offences up to 5 years back, which is a bit mean IMHO as most are legally "spent" ater 4 years.
--
Cheers
Dave.

On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 10:20:08 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"

IIRC some ask for all claims up to 5 years ago.
--
(\__/) M.
Dave Liquorice wrote:

That reminds me. I suppose I should let the insurance co. know that I have had a ticket since I last renewed my policy.
--
Adam

You should. I waited until I received my renewal notice. They didn't seem too bothered, but I had to pay extra for the current year and then the renewal premium was recalculated.
MBQ
Man at B&Q wrote:

This one should be fun then as it actually affects the policy previous to the current policy.
Mind you, it's only 3 points so it should not make much difference.
--
Adam