OT Car Insurance

ARW wrote:

There are some offences which some companies say they will ignore, as long as there aren't too many of them.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

John Williamson wrote:

Indeed. And I suppose that most people have at least one speeding ticket.
I really want to go on a speed awareness course. A mate of mine who is a lorry driver has just attended one (it seems that some cameras are linked to weight sensors in the road). He loved it.
--
Adam

o.uk> scribeth thus

My missus went on one after being had for 35 in a 30 limit. Was told to drive around in 30 limits in Third gear?..
Bizarre if you ask me"!...
--
Tony Sayer

On 08/11/2012 20:55, tony sayer wrote:

> That's seriously unlucky. They don't charge below '10% + 2'. Management got done at 36 in a 30 and I thought she was unlucky!
> Was told to

No, barmy!

We had this discussion...
Depending on road traffic conditions it is what I do. Mind this is in the diesel Fiesta which is fairly high geared.

--
Tim Lamb

You might .. I don't thanks, and have never done so and never had a problem with that at all in any car I've driven...
--
Tony Sayer

As opposed to what?
--
Tim

Using Forth gear which is what I've done since 1971 ....
Theres absolutely no need to use Third in a Thirty limit at all unless you have a very very under powered car. The one she drives would manage in Sixth anyway...
The powers that be here in Cambridge now want to implement a city wide 20 MPH limit so by this odd logic thats going to mean cruising around in second then?...
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer wrote:

Not to mention causing an obstruction to cyclists.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

20mph eh? Another good reason to avoid the place.
--
Tim

Indeed I only go there when I have to. If it were down to me I'd be off out in the sticks but other members of the tribe need to be here else its yet more commuting...
--
Tony Sayer

Mmmmm. I consider myself lucky, given the lunatic way cyclists behave there, that I didn't have a collision with one during my time commuting to Hills Road.
E.g. that ped xing on Hills Rd by the Bot Gdns - I saw a cyclist more or less mow down a pedestrian on the crossing there - against a red light!
--
Tim

Daily occurrence that. I saw a couple of young oriental ladies hit each other in the middle of a pedestrian crossing on their bikes, and then after they have got up apologised to each other bowed at each other then went on their way;!..
Things yer see when you haven't a video recorder handy;)...
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer wrote:

My van does not like doing 30mph in 4th gear. It's at 1000RPM when doing that. And I certainly would not call it a very very underpowered vehicle.
--
Adam

o.uk> scribeth thus

You sure the alternator isn't powering it;-?...
--
Tony Sayer

Bancom Communications U.K. Tel+44 1223 566577 Fax+44 1223 566588
tony sayer wrote:

:-) But is nice to know that at 70 MPH on a motorway in 5th (2700RPM) that the turbo is only 1000 revs away should I need to speed up.
Typical VH gear box, quite good though the low revs, crap at mid revs and semi OK at high revs.
I miss the old Honda Civic - that car only became came alive at 6000 RPM.
--
Adam

On 09/11/2012 20:37, ARW wrote:

This is the legendary torque of diesels? Like most legends, not actually true?
I'm happy with an engine that will run in top in a 30 limit (in fact at 30 I could use _any_ of the gears) and has a smooth torque curve up to about 5k and power beyond that. Very easy to drive. Perhaps that's why they call it a GT? OTOH 35MPG...
Andy

The missus has got a Mini Clubman SD . Has a 2L diesel Can't run it in top gear at 30 ,darn thing has got so much torque that idle takes it along about 35 to 40. Took a bit of getting used to at first almost like a stuck cruise control. I'll forgive it's quirks when it only costs 30 a year VED though. Real life MPG is about 52 to 55 if I'm using it,49 to 51 if she is. I think that is because I look way ahead and lift off, she doesn't anticipate so well and has to brake.
G.Harman

Err no, the gear ratios have been chosen such that top gear is not suitable for bimbling around in town.
--
<•DarWin><|
_/ _/

Oh I realise that and to attempt to do so would daft . Somewhere up thread somebody suggested that a vehicle that couldn't be driven in top at 30 had to be seriously underpowered.That might have been true in the days past but not now with most gearboxes having 5 or 6 ratios. where the higher gears on a reasonably powered car will take it along above a 30 mph limit. hence the advice from some places to adopt a lower gear which somebody found bizarre but has become a necessity in some cars . . The Missus car just idles along in top gear above the 30 limit so you have to change down to stay legal even if you wanted to be a mechanically unsympathetic driver.and drive with brakes against the engine . She had the Petrol S version before and that behaved differently slowing when you expected it too when you lifted your foot off completely prior to changing down,this one keeps lugging and you have to drop down a cog to get slower a fraction of a second earlier.
G.Harman