OT: Another monumental FU from microsoft.

'?A small portion? of Windows mobile users hoping the unexpected cool new update would start the month off the right way got burned yesterday. Microsoft ?accidentally? released a development build of Windows 10 that can transform your phone into jelly if you try to install it.'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Some might also say the Windows 10S is a huge blunder too. apparently, many countries refuse to have anything to do with it for their schools as firstly its basically an on line always system, and secondly if you have disabled people needing screenreaders you cannot use third party software on them. So now we have the situation where they are offering the pro version free to anyone who needs access software, which seems completely at odds with the cut down system controlled by Microsoft idea of S in the first place. How to shoot yourself in the foot in two easy lessons. I do sometimes wonder where these large companies are looking for their strategy. Don't they look at the real world situation? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My understanding is that you can ONLY install programs from the Windows app store (for which Microsoft get paid a commission), that you can ONLY use the Edge browser and that you can ONLY use the Bing search engine amongst other "security" restrictions.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Or you can install Linux.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Been running Unix since the 1980s. Moved to Linux full time when Ubuntu first came out. Before that it was a bit choosy about the hardware it would run on although I experimented for years.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Thanks, now you owe me a new irony meter. ;-(

Oh, and do you have a lift or spiral staircase in that ivory tower?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m