A new microsoft annoyance

Following an update last night, my taskbar is now telling me what the weather is outside, as if I couldn't look out of the window. It appears to be a function of microsoft news, but I can't see how to hide it, or better still, remove it altogether. It's very persistent. Any suggestions, please.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

right click taskbar, news & interests, turn off

Reply to
Andy Burns

I just wish MS would stop trying to make edge my browser when I am quite happy with firefox ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Right-click Taskbar. (See the new News and Interest menu item) "Turn Off" item.

It's there, so if you turn it off, you can turn it on again.

There is a GPEDIT policy to give it the heave-ho, in which case, the Taskbar new menu item is likely to be removed.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

From the list of annoyances on the taskbar

Toolbars/Address Toolbars/Links Toolbars/Desktop Search News&Interests Cortana TaskView People WindowsInk TouchKeyboard

I have every one of them disabled ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

That simple! Thanks!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

No modern person believes that the weather is anything other than the Climate Scientists tell him that it is. Outside your window is merely a 'Local anomaly'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Same here, although oddly only on one of three machines which have updated. I can't find a way of getting rid either, but on reflection decided to leave it for a few weeks and see if I come to like it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I have M$ blocked so no auto updates.

Reply to
jon

Plenty on instrutions on the Web. I modified my registry to get rid of this feature. The large number of web sites detailing how to disable this annoyance suggests that many Win10 users didn't welcome this inclusion in the update.

I also think that some of the recent win10 updates have re-enabled some of the features that I have previously disabled in order to speed up win10 - some of my programs now take maybe 15 to 30 seconds to start after a reboot whereas before a "major" win10 update they started within

5 seconds of selecting them.
Reply to
alan_m

Security updates all blocked?

Reply to
GB

I don't have the option on this machine. I wonder why not?

Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 Installed on ?12/?08/?2020 OS build 19042.1052 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0

It's fully up to date.

Reply to
GB

I think it's "trickling" out to users, some got it immediately with

21H1, others got it with the first cumulative update after that.
Reply to
Andy Burns

All blocked, but I also run in virtual mode. A reboot presents a new system.

Reply to
jon

"Right click" taskbar, select News and Interests, select Turn Off

Reply to
Bob Eager

yes to "trickling out" but it's arrived here on 3 machines (so far) on

20H2 and ISTR reading it'll come i.d.c. to version 1909 or later
Reply to
Robin

Following an update last night my computer was useless. Couldn't get any program to run. Screens kept going white. Machine kept freezing. I couldn't get the undo update thing to work because I couldn't get to it. Teamviewer wouldn't work. Steve my IT man talked me through a thing that starts with crashing the PC three times, and eventually allows the update to be removed. The whole thing took two hours.

Where do I send the bill?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

That is likely to be the Patch Tuesday for the month.

This is offline syntax, for removing an update which is in-flight, and is not completing properly. You need to boot your installer DVD, to do this. You might be forced to use the installer DVD, "troubleshooting" and Command Prompt, if the system refuses to boot up properly and finish the update via the spinning balls crap.

DISM /image:c:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

If a package is installed (installation completed), there are various commands similar to this, to remove it. This is offline syntax, but you're more likely to remove them via online command instead (while the C: OS is running).

DISM /image:c:\ /remove-package /packagename: ...

This article gives two commands for removing a Windows Update package which has completed but is causing grief.

systeminfo # get package number

wusa /uninstall /kb:4058702 /quiet /norestart

With DISM instead... while the OS is running (/online)

dism /online /get-packages /format:table

dism /Online /Remove-Package /PackageName:PackageName

# an example of a full package name, to be used on the end.

"Package_for_KB4058702~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~16299.188.1.0"

You might also need to block the update from coming in again, but, because the updates have version numbers you cannot see, if they re-issue it, it may "step around" your block.

And just because you remove the Patch Tuesday today, the next Patch Tuesday is cumulative, and whatever item you hated, could show up in it too.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

<snip>

It installed ok on my Win10/32 PRO, but took a while, and for a quite a while taskmanager showed the highest activity was interrupts.

Reply to
Andrew