Last Night I saw.....

...an apparition. Whilst driving home after a less than good day, I pulled into the Port Glasgow, LIDL car park. In the gloom ahead of me a large towed sign spoke to me "SCREWFIX NOW OPEN IN GREENOCK". And then it vanished before I could take down the details. I asked a fellow traveller, had he seen it? He had and told me his story. You must go to Greenock, and behind the Fire Station you will find what you seek. I did, and I did. Obscured by a gigantic Screwfix artic, there it was in the fading light, an oasis, of plenty...I had to go see, to check it was real, and it is. I drove home dreaming. No more long journeys to Glasgow, no more eyewatering local prices. Aaah...sigh PS. opened 1 week, still stocking up, no connection just a good customer.

Reply to
Olav M

But your dream will turn out to be a nightmare. You need Toolstation, not Screwfix (though they were once great).

Try ordering from Screwfix online for collection in branch. Then, when you collect the order, have to produce the credit card for a 1p transaction to prove it's legit!

I went in a SF on Wednesday for the first time ever, and quite probably the last. Staffed by a gaggle of spotty schoolkids, most of them shouting to each other about where they were going tonight, the rest texting and updating their FB statuses. They looked at us as if we were pubes in a paella, just not interested at all, and then none of them knew how to operate the till, nor could they work out that even though we had 7 tubes of silicone (10% off 5, 20% off 6) they still came up at full price, which we paid and left, what a crock of shit.

Reply to
Phil L

Got the Screwfix electrical catalogue from them [Through the post]. As they supposedly offer lower prices at Electricfix or whatever they call it, I wandered around the corner from my usual branch in the hope that my bag of cable ties would come out cheaper.

I wasn't served! It seems that you do not have to be on their database to be sent a catalogue. You need a JIB card or some other piece of plastic if you are not logged, and unless logged they will only supply from Screwfix.

An Engineering council card along with an MIET card didn't cut much ice and neither did that waste of plastic known as a CSCS card.

Strange really. I work with quite a few electricians but they rarely buy or specify the materiels they work with themselves.

Now Would I be correct in thinking that if any amateur buying goods from Screwfix that are carried in the Electricfix catalogue, went on to set fire to a property due to lack of training in the installation of those goods, then they would have a justifiable claim against Screwfix for negligence?

After all, the main reason given behind the limiting of sale of those items in the "professional" catalogue seems to be based around safety.

Anyway I'm just off to get a shower, some one mm twin and a bell push [To cut the power automatically when someone exits the shower]

HN

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

.. and you can end up queueing longer than customers who turn up and order on site after you arrive; their orders get picked and called so you're pushed back in the "collect" queue; you might never get to the counter.

Reply to
Reentrant

To be honest I have found that for "box shifters" the staff are quite helpful. I have used a large number of branches and the only irritations I find are the ques and having my address broadcast to every customer in the place.

Prices and specifications of goods can vary, so if it's something major and for personal use, I check on the web before buying.

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

I find TLC Direct excellent for electrickery stuff.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Many thanks. I have not come across them before. They seem to have a fair range of stock advertised.

Is a lot kept at the individual outlets?

Most of my work down south is unplanned and I rarely have the tme for a "next day", so I usually favour The RS Components trade counters. Slight disadvantage to that though £££££ :-{

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

I had a run-in with them over just this issue.

They had sent me, unsolicited, a copy of their Electrofix catalogue and when I tried to take advantage of the better prices therein... they attempted to decline me service as I didn't match their expectations!

I made a bit of a fuss in earshot of other customers :-) and the 18 year old girl quickly phoned head-office to resolve it - I had an audience!

The bloke from their head office was initially full of how they couldn't serve me and how I would have to use Screwfix instead. Loudly, I exclaimed! - "use Screwfix, at their prices - you're having a laugh mate! I shall just continue going to TLC for all my requirements and won't be dealing with your tinpot company again"... one or two "you tell him mate" comments from my audience, and he seemed to see my point of view as he asked to be put back onto the girl who then processed my order without any further hassle.

I've not used them since and probably won't again. Much nicer to buy stuff where the customer is wanted and welcome.

Seems, being the operative word. Trying to jack prices up to the public on one hand and on the other hand offering competitive prices to the trade for stuff on the same shelf in the building is their game and they are just trying to be greedy.

I used to like Screwfix once but Kingfisher won't be happy until they have finished Screwfix off and all the D-I-Yers trundle back to B&Q again. Not me! - I just hope Toolstation and their owners reap all the rewards and do not make the same mistakes as they grow bigger.

Ask the lovely girl doing her nails in the professional outlet that is Electricfix if it is within regs. - I'm sure it'd be OK :-(

Reply to
Steve Eldridge

According to my wife's bank that's one of the things the banks look out for to detect stolen credit cards. Apparently it's done amongst the thieves to demonstrate their wares are legit.

Draw your own conclusions!!

Reply to
hugh

My local branch has most 'normal' items in stock. Sometimes you have to wait until the next day. You can always phone to check beforehand.

Reply to
charles

when someone got hold of SWMBO's card details, it was used to buy 99p worth of petrol - twice.

Reply to
charles

I went to Screwfix once. Never again. I refuse to be treated like that.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I would guess 90%+ stock availability from my local branch.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

100% Agree.
Reply to