New Table Saw

I'm thinking of buying a new Hitachi C10FL 10 inch table saw. Has anyone had experience with this saw or with Hitachi? I've read two reviews on line and both were very positive.

Any other recommendations for a table saw in the 4-5 hundred dollar range?

Thanks

Reply to
Tom

Don't know anything about it other than that they're lying about the hp.

I have the Ridgid. Good saw, but do a search about the arbor problems with stacked dado cutters - hopefully no longer an issue. That and the stand/integrated mobile base takes FOREVER to assemble.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Has the thought occurred to you that there may be fresher reports than those offered up by the (in some cases) ancient archives?

The OP is about to drop half a G-note on a tool. Does it bother you that much for him to seek some reassurance that what he is buying is the right thing?

Lighten-the-f*ck up, Stoutperson!

(What I envision, is a man with a purple uniform, handle-bar moustache, standing on a cone-shaped platform, like the ones elephants in the circus use to do their tricks, screaming at the top of his lungs: G O O G L E ! Ahhh yess.. a Pythonesque scene, with a Cleese voice-over.)

During this bout with insomnia, this seems funny to me.

Reply to
Robatoy

I just bought the Rigid TS3650 at the BORG this past Fall and am happy with it. More than enough TS for me and it got great reviews in a few mags for

2005. With 10% off, it is just in the upper limit of your price range (they take competitors' coupons or you can open a charge card).

And you can't beat the LIFETIME parts and labor guarantee, if it is still offered. That alone is what swayed me from the Delta.

Reply to
Hedley

50-175-M1 General.

Picked by many magazines as best buy, best overall etc. Around $ 750 US... I know it's more than you planned... face it now and get it over with: it will always be more than planned.

Seriously, Tom... what is a couple of hundred in the big scheme of things? It is truly a great foundation upon which to build your woodworking future.

Run, don't walk to your friendly General store and plop down your cash.

DO IT, dammit!!

=0)

Reply to
Robatoy

Ancient? Umm, is it a new model that he is asking about?? Do those "ancient" archives you speak of not mention his saw??

It doesn't bother me at all. I was simply offering him an avenue where he could find his "reassurance". Believe it or not, there are people that do not know you can search (google-groups) archives.

There is a strong possibility that the OP did not google-groups (search the archives). There is also the possibility that he found what I offered helpful. Did you think of that Roba?

umm, ok. I think you are the one that needs to lighten up.

I don't recal asking what you envision, nor do I care.

One word for you man, Haldol!

Reply to
stoutman

Tom,

I have owned a Hitachi 10" compound sliding miter saw for about 5 years, it is a wonderful tool. When I bought it I though it cost a small fortune, but it was well worth it. The performance of this saw convinced me to sell an old Craftsman table saw which I had to battle with every time I used it. The Hitachi saw was really the first "good" power tool I had ever purchased. While still very budget conscience I only want "good" tools now. All that really means is that I want the tool to work like it is supposed to work which is to be repeatable, trouble free, and easy to operate with out a lot of fiddling around every time I use it.

I just went through the table saw purchasing adventure and I really appreciate where you are at right now. I did have the opportunity to actually look at and touch a lot of different machines before I made my purchase decision. What I learned is that you can drop $1000 and still have some of the same issues that the $500 class saw has. I read the same reviews you have seen when I was shopping for a table saw, it seems that no table saw that I can afford is a perfect machine. While the Hitachi looked pretty good to me. In the end I bought the Delta Hybrid with the T2 fence, Amazon was having a coupon sale and I got it delivered into my garage for $649. Depending on the state you live in the sales tax savings might make ordering through Amazon a good deal if they are having the discount coupon deal. The features that influenced my final decision: motor location (inside the closed cabinet on the Delta), solid cast iron extension wings, and personal preference for the T2 fence. The $150 discount coupon made the price look a lot better too. I am very happy with the Delta Hybrid. If I had bought the Hitachi saw I think I would have been happy with it too. The Hitachi's price is still considerably less than what I paid for my saw and if I remember correctly it comes with built in retractable wheels, which is a great feature for the garage workshop. I still have to purchase the dolly for my saw and it is not cheap. Someone else commented about horse power, I would not be overly concerned about that. If you were planning to cut railroad ties you would be disappointed with the performance of any saw in this price class. This machine is for the homeowner / remodeler / woodworking hobbyist. I guess I would stretch the budget as much as possible and if 4 - 5 hundred is the budget then the Hitachi looks like one of the better choices to me. If you can stand $650 and are so inclined to wait for the sale to come back on Amazon I have really liked the Delta Hybrid so far. Of course two weeks of ownership is not the best barometer to judge by. But I am not initially disappointed, which was a concern to me. If you are buying the Hitachi from someplace like Lowes or Home Depot and you are truly disappointed you could always take it back for a refund. This news group can be pretty tough on people, not sure exactly why, I see no need for it but I am just responsible for myself. Perhaps it is because there does not seem to very many beginner to intermediate woodworkers, it seems like most of the people here are more advanced in their skills and tool quality requirements and hence less likely to see the merits of buying a $400-500 table saw or for that matter buying a

120v powered table saw of any variety. I can see their point, but at the same time there are a lot of us that seek reassurance that our hard earned $400-500 is being spent on the best available in its class.

Good luck and post back here when you have purchased your saw and have it setup.

Charlie

"Tom" wrote in message news:0W8Nf.1386$ snipped-for-privacy@fe02.lga...

Reply to
Charlie H.