35 F. last night 47 F. now tonight ???

Forecast is for lows about 50 F. starting tomorrow. My soil temp is about 60 F. sometimes still our forest and flowering trees carry on. Nothing burned but I'm a late starter .

Reply to
Bill who putters

Moreorless 60°(F) here at 8:12AM (Good Lord, I'm missing NPR's "Morning Edition" propcast!!); overnight low 52; soil temp at 5", 73. Weather Heifer predicting 88; yikes.

Take heart: All indications are the condition is only temporary. It'll be a desert soon enough....

I, too, am a late starter. I garden piecemeal and at my own pace; Down here, most gardens are in and looking good by Valentine's Day, or thereabouts, but because we're subject to the occasional "March surprise" with overnight temps low enough to knock the snot out of heat lovers, I usually wait until March to put stuff in the beds. As a rule, I buy tomato and pepper sets from a reliable local nursery of long acquaintance but everything else is direct-seeded. Presently have little tiny tomatoes and jalapeños; "bell" peppers and eggplant (aubergine) are covered with blossoms. Cucumbers, yellow squash, "English" peas and okra are thriving. But then, my garden gets actual sunlight; LOL! Today, while planting another hundred "Little Marvel" peas in a bed that eventually will be fleshed out with some kind of snap bean ("Provider", most likely) and preparing one-half of another bed to receive more okra, I'll give a kind thought to your chilly self up there in the barrens ;-).

Reply to
Derald