Microsoft Edge

I thought Microsoft had scrapped Edge, so how come it has just reappeared on my PC after an update?

Reply to
Scott

That's Chrome in Edge clothing.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have both, Chrome downloaded some time ago and Edge as part of Windows 10. Are you saying they are now identical ?.

Reply to
Andrew

No.

Reply to
newshound

That's clear then :-)

Reply to
Scott

But Microsoft have thrown away the "engine" of Edge, and replaced it with Blink, which is the engine that Chrome (and many other browsers) use.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think the interesting question from the user perspective would be whether Edge offers any benefits over Chrome.

Reply to
Scott

Having just upgraded to Win10, I'll stick with Firefox, thanks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They have not scrapped it in name as such, but rebuilt it on the chrome rendering engine.

Reply to
John Rumm

Less snooping by Google and more by MS in all probability :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I use different browsers for different things.

I still use Internet Explorer as it's the only browser that shows an image from a dated video recorder.

Multiple browsers also allow you to login into different accounts on the same website.

Otherwise I generally use Firefox.

Reply to
Fredxx

Private Windows allow you to do that with FF.

Reply to
Paul Herber

And you have to stop it trying to be the default browser!

Reply to
alan_m

I thought MS was required by EU Law to provide a free choice of browsers?

Reply to
Scott

Microsoft Edge the reboot is based on Chrome and don't knock it its very very quick and has no snooping by Google, but snooping by Microsoft. Add to that it has a windows 7 and 8 version being pushed as well as IE is obsolete as you will know if you have tried to use it recently. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

I wasn't aware of that. Many thanks.

Reply to
Fredxx

Legally they possibly do, but after the update the first time I clicked on a link that would normally launch my default Firefox browser up comes Edge "would you like to make this your default browser". Similarly a mouse right click to "open with" seems to have been reset from previous configured Firefox to the generic list of possible programs including Edge. OK it's trivial to say no to Edge being the default browser and select Firefox again to open certain types of file but MS, with an upgrade, have not honoured my previous configuration. The upgrade also "pinned" Edge back on to my taskbar which I had previously removed because I don't use it.

Reply to
alan_m

I have the same issue with my Samsung CCTV DVR.

Basically to view live video or review recorded content, it uses ActiveX.

The *only* browser that will support ActiveX is Internet Explorer!

So I have the Samsung DVR's IP address as the home page on Internet Explorer and I use a different browser for everything else.

As far as smartphone/tablet use is concerned, I can use iPolis for iOS and for Android.

The only way to get iPolis on my Windows 10 box is to either use a Android Emulator like BlueStacks or run a iOS virtual machine.

Reply to
No Name

They are also offering a version on Mac and Linux!

Embrace Extend Extinguish ...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I have been using the latest Edge for a few weeks and it seems fine. Not sure of any great advantages over Chrome - possibly less instaces of it running in background. Only downside is that occasionally Blink pops up as a search engine despite me setting Google as my default.

Reply to
John