Microsoft Edge

If you look at some of the "speed up win10" web pages disabling or deleting some of the the win 10 apps, including MS news, that can continually operate in the background is one of the recommendations. The clue to unnecessary running background programs is often seen with the shortcut icon being animated indicating constant updating.

Reply to
alan_m

Actually, probably snooping by both. Even Chromium sends home encrypted data to Google.

I didn't know that. I can barely wait to /not/ use it on my Linux box...

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I doubt it will be too long before there is a duopoly on browsers. Only Edge and Chrome will work on all sites. Even Firefox will be sidelined.

A few years ago I changed from Firefox to Pale Moon as my main browser (I got fed up with the revisions to the GUI that couldn't be changed simply). Recently, there has been more than one occasion where PM simply would not render a webpage correctly, if at all, but more awkwardly, PM will not work with reCaptcha. All that happens is that reCaptcha keeps loading new pictures to check - it never accepts even "correctly" ticked pictures. That is because Google /insists/ on Chrome, Edge, or Firefox to check the reCaptcha image on a particular webpage. Not even changing the User Agent pref in PM will solve the problem. I understand that this problem does not occur with nCaptcha.

The daft thing is that the reCaptcha check is generally used only to set up a valid account for something; once that account has been validated the website usually works with Pale Moon!

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I've not had this problem at all. Simply selected Firefox as my default browser, and removed Edge from the task bar.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I did that too but strangely when I used CCleaner I found the Edge cache is filling up.

Reply to
Scott

I couldn't see how to remove Edge. It's not a program in its own right and does not show in the the Microsoft features.

Reply to
Scott

You have no choice in the matter. Original Edge is end-of-life and will no longer be included in future Win10 releases. Edge Chrome *will* be included in future releases instead and cannot be uninstalled. If you have some reason to want Original Edge you need to manually download the Edge Chrome whether you use it or not. If you manually downloaded (even if you don't want it) then you get to keep both versions for now. If you allow it to be installed automatically with an update Original Edge is toast and there is no way to recover it without major effort.

Yes you can use Firefox instead but you can't not have Edge Chrome at some point in time.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Yes, different tracking.

Reply to
mm0fmf

I only use Edge for managing some Azure instances where it works better than other browsers. I was in no rush for the new Edge so didn't download it but it was updated for me today. If I'm accessing my Azure account pages MS know exactly who I am already so I'm happy with the extra tracking, it'll tell them what they know already!

After it installed I was asked if I wanted to change my default browser when Edge started. Seems reasonable to me, install new browser and new browser asks if it can be default. I told it no thanks and it has respected that decision.

Currently I use evince for PDF viewing. When opening a PDF, new Edge asked if I wanted it to be my default PDF app. Again reasonable, I install a new PDF viewing tool and when I open a PDF I get asked if I want to change, I said no and that has been respected.

It's actions so far have not been unreasonable or different than installing any other program that can be come a default app and it is respecting my choices.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Even if you flip the "In-box" bit in the database, you can't remove it. There's something else preventing that from happening. The uninstallation process appears to run, but doesn't seem to achieve anything.

The "In-box" bit is set to True, for any items Microsoft does not want to be removed. For MSEdge, my attempt at removal, only cause the icon in the task bar to be replaced with a blank space. If you clicked on the blank space, the icon came back, implying something put it back.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Edge is now more like Cr_Edge a Mickeysoft skin on a Chrome engine.

Opera or Firefox are worth a try if you want an independent browser. (a handful of websites are tetchy about certain browsers)

Reply to
Martin Brown

Opera has swallowed the blink pill, so it may look different, but leaves Firefox as more or less the only non-webkit/blink/chrome browser in town now ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think it's Edge Chromium actually, which AIUI is more open source than Chrome.

Reply to
Scott

Has the new version installed yet (it has a new green and blue icon to replace the old darker blue but internet explorer style one)?

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed - those are fair enough. The slight annoyance may be that you will get the same behaviour even with an automatic "update" to the new version. From the user's perspective they could argue they are not installing a new app.

(its also taking a liberty when the windows default programs settings application attempts to promote edge over other browsers)

Reply to
John Rumm

Sadly IE will only finally die when all the bespoke corporate sites that rely on things like lame cross site security and ActiveX components etc also get replaced.

Reply to
John Rumm

That will mean my CCTV recorder will no longer work with Windows as I currently use IE as the CCTV recorder uses ActiveX. All other browsers I have tried do not support ActiveX

ALl my iPads and mobiles use iPolis so my only other alternative is to run a VM or Bluestacks within my Windows Box.

Reply to
No Name

Another so called improvement that isn't. Despite setting my normal opening page if I start the PC from scratch it insists going to MS page but if I s hut down edge and reopen later up comes my home page!!!. Sainsburys online shopping site does not seem to like the updated edge had all sorts of issue s with pages not responding.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

You can check the crypto.

This one checks a server, to see what it supports. If the server is set to TLS 1.3 only, and CHACHA20 or the elliptic polynomial, then that will cause a lot of legacy browsers to fail. The domain you want to test, goes on the end.

This one tests the browser, and should show the "suite" of TLS versions and polynomials. Between the server and client, they have to agree on a setup that they share.

Using links like that, is for pages where you can't seem to connect. More of a WinXP problem perhaps.

That says nothing about rendering issues or web engine issues that might contribute to wrong page renders.

There's probably also an error console (somewhere) to look at. There can be hundreds of errors in there, for pages that just weren't designed for the browser.

Paul

Reply to
Paul