Powerline oddity

Last night, the PLA which feeds our TV hub "went funny". Just showing power light. It's one of a pair.

After a brief mess around, I discovered the TV can use the house WiFi (as can the TiVo) so no panic.

Investigating today, I've found that the source PLA (in my office) is merrily showing it's 3 lights, but the "receiver" (the one in the lounge) only shows one.

However, swapping them, doesn't swap the problem. The one in the office still shows 3 lights, and the one in the lounge (or indeed anywhere else I try it) only shows one.

Unless my wiring has suddenly failed, it's an odd one.

(Also noticed a wallwart appears to have failed. I would suspect lightning, only it was in a surge protected circuit).

Reply to
Jethro_uk

RF interference on your mains wiring possibly caused by another failing wallwart?

Reply to
alan_m

Powerline is quite susceptible to issues like that. I'd remove things from the ring main(s) until I find the culprit. The trouble is that it might be a failed wall wart next door.

Actually, it might not be right next door. It depends how the phases are shared.

Reply to
GB

I have a friend who thinks anyone who uses these devices is a c*nt because they interfere with short wave radio reception.

Reply to
Scott

Sometimes god is on the side of preventing RFI it seems grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

SMPS devices can inject noise-on-mains.

This tends to upset some of the other devices which are noise sensitive. If you had an ADSL2+ broadband modem on the same power strip, the Sync light would not come on.

I had an Antec ATX supply do that, inject noise-on-mains.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Update:

After a careful reading of manuals, and much more careful reading of LEDs, when I realised that the middle LED wasn't working, but cheap plastic was letting light from the "network activity" LED bleed through, I discovered the two PLAs simply would not see each other - even on a twin plug I rigged up just for them.

Eventually (and I had to fire up a Windows PC) I manually (re) set the network names of both to match, and they found each other, and are happily working again.

Odd one.

No amount of pressing the reset/rekey button could get them to sync. They needed a mutual name change.

Reply to
Jethro_uk