Digital TV: Split signal from aerial?

Hi.
Is there a degradation in signal if I split it 3 ways from the aerial?
I'm just about to install a new aerial myself and want to do the job properly. I've not installed an aerial before, but I'm fairly good at electrics etc.
Thanks, in advance.
Howard
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:04:05 +0000, Howard Coakley

You say " Digital TV" so I take it there is a Freeview box somewhere in the equation?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 30/10/2009 10:47, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

Hi. Yes, 3 different freeview boxes in different parts of the house.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Oct 30, 10:04 am, Howard Coakley

Always degradation. If you look at the specs for your 3 or 4 way splitter you'll see how much degradation. If you hoo up a tv you'll see whether the result is acceptable. If not, add a masthead amplifier as close to the aerial as poss. http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Category:TV
NT
Add pictures here
βœ–
NT wrote:

Its not necessary to have a masthead amp unless you are really in totally marginal conditions to start with.
If signal is good enough on a single downlead to a single set, then the distribution amp can just as well go at the end of the downlead in a convenient and more accessible place.
It is important to distinguish the function of a masthead amp - to essentially boost really weak signals as close to the antenna as possible, and a distribution amp, which is really there to buffer a distributions system from the downlead and antenna.

Add pictures here
βœ–
splitters but free view works fine, but I do get a good signal that requires an attenuator to stop channel break through on analogue
Add pictures here
βœ–
Howard Coakley wrote:

yes. Use an active distribution amp if passive splitting degrades quality below acceptable.

bring a single downlead to somewhere you can mess with a TV, and start by splitting it three ways passively: if signal quality is poor on the most split line, get a labgear or similar amp, and feed the three lines from that.
Do not just couple three lines to the downlead. You will get horrible cable resonances that will potential murder some muxes and peak up others.
I've got 9 all full signal coming out of mine.

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:04:05 +0000 someone who may be Howard Coakley
Yes.
Whether this is a problem or not depends on how strong the signal is at the aerial. If it is strong then splitting it three ways should still leave enough signal at each outlet for most freeview boxes/televisions, provided the splitting is done properly.
There are perhaps two sites you should study <http://www.aerialsandtv.com/ and <http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/ in order to gain an understanding of the options.
If you have not yet bought the aerial there is a lot in those sites you should be aware of before buying.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
βœ–

Obtain a 12dB attenuator. Connect the aerial to a receiver with the attenuator in line. Observe the results for several days. If everything is OK obtain a three way inductive splitter (a small thing wth f connectors built into a metal case; not any other type) and connect ther aerial to the input of the splitter and the three outputs to the downleads. If the attenuator test is a fail obtain a small one-in four-out amplifier and fit it fairly close to the aerial.
Bill
Add pictures here
βœ–
message

'uk.tech.digital-tv' is a good place to ask these questions (although there is significant overlap between the groups).
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 30 Oct,

He's had as good a reply here as he would get there (by one of their best contributers).
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

If you are referring to me, kind sir, I hereby lay on the floor at your feet and wag my tail, and invite you to fondle my nipples.
Bill
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:04:05 +0000, Howard Coakley

Mine is split 3 ways [sort of], I've had to fit a 2-way booster in the lounge, one output to the TV, the other is sent along a long crooked route to a spare room/office, to another booster, with one output to TV, and another to short crooked route to a downstairs bedroom. Its a bit messy, but the only way I could get all 3 TVs to work OK.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 30 Oct,

You must have an extremely large pad, or else you're using string to connect the sets.
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
βœ–

CAI benchmarked string is OK.
Bill
Add pictures here
βœ–

Hehe, unfortunately not. I've always assumed its because of marginal reception and the far from ideal but unavoidable routing of the cable, ie quite a few sharp right-angle bends that have left the co-ax pretty badly kinked.
Add pictures here
βœ–
this to say:

If you do actually have marginal reception then your best bet is to remedy that before considering 'complex' distribution around the house, possibly using a better ζrial and/or a _grouped_ amplifier (grouped to improve the signal/noise ratio and reduce the chance of blocking by nearby transmissions). Certainly avoid a 'DC-to-light' broadband amplifier such as designed (?) to boost FM transmissions as well as TV. Only when you have a decent signal should you consider distribution amplifiers, splitters and so on.
--
Frank Erskine

Add pictures here
βœ–
had

Where can he get one of those from?
Bill
Add pictures here
βœ–

Thread hijack
Bill - I seem to have a general failure on Mux2 i.e. ITV, CH4, E4, More 4 etc are giving me just pixellated crap
In watford, pointed at crystal palace (I think)
Its a newish (<10 years old aerial) the problem seems to have developed some time last year
I also have a shite old aerial (must be more than 30 years old) from which I seem to get a much better signal
there are several recorders plugged into this signal
--
geoff

Add pictures here
βœ–
had

Trees? Damp in cable? Aerial damaged? Building in the way? Or see http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/articles/whatsat-short-reflector-syndrome.pdf Mux 2 is on ch 22 isn't it?

No surprise. It it's that old it will be far better quality!
Bill
Add pictures here
βœ–