Round table edge protector

At church, we have 25 round tables, with folding legs. The edges are getting beat up, from being rolled to and fro. Table about 5 feet diameter, edge is maybe 1 1/2 inches wide. I'm thinking there has to be some way to patch this. I did think of duct tape, but that would look a bit off, for a church.

Must have happened to someone, before. What can be done inexpensively? The tables are "scheduled" to be replaced, but the budget is way down.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

stop rolling them. perhaps a cart or furniture dolly?

Reply to
chaniarts

We do have carts, but the end up being rolled, regardless.

.

stop rolling them. perhaps a cart or furniture dolly?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sometimes, I miss the obvious. Plastic, they already have a bit of rubber edge, but that isn't helping much.

Sorry about the absence of detail.

.

So. Now the question is WHAT are these tables made out of?

Wood, plastic, electrical wire spools or possibly granite...

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:kH%Qq.7647$ snipped-for-privacy@news.usenetserver.com:

Is there already trim around the table perimeter? If so, can you pull some away and see if there's a groove cut into the perimeter wood?

If there is already a groove, then you can just pull out the old edging and replace it with new stuff. It's called "table edging"; it's usually sold by the roll. I'm thinking Lee Valley or Outwater. Maybe even HD or Lowe's. Google or phone around.

Reply to
Tegger

My late friend GB was a cabinet maker and he often routed a grove in certain wood tables, etc and used a rubber mallet to pound a vinyl T strip into the grove to protect the wood from bumps and bangs whenever loading or moving them. On a round table, it would be like a tire.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I was going to suggest rubber "t" moulding, but it will probably not work on plastic tops, but it would sure be worth trying on at least one. I fear that the tables are hollow if they are the ones I'm remembering. If you're just trying to get by, you may look into Roppe or similar rubber base strip glued on. I think there is a trim strip made at 1

1/2" and some careful masking and spray adhesive should make short work of it.
Reply to
DanG

I trust the replacement tables will be square...

Reply to
HeyBub

Yes, there is already edging. But, the hollow plastic edges are banged up worse than new edging will handle. Need something to wrap around, or go over, or.....

Sorry, I neglected to say they were plastic.

.

Is there already trim around the table perimeter? If so, can you pull some away and see if there's a groove cut into the perimeter wood?

If there is already a groove, then you can just pull out the old edging and replace it with new stuff. It's called "table edging"; it's usually sold by the roll. I'm thinking Lee Valley or Outwater. Maybe even HD or Lowe's. Google or phone around.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

GB sounds like a remarkable man, and hope he's happy as can be, in his present condition.

The tables are plastic, and more banged up than a trim strip will handle.

.

My late friend GB was a cabinet maker and he often routed a grove in certain wood tables, etc and used a rubber mallet to pound a vinyl T strip into the grove to protect the wood from bumps and bangs whenever loading or moving them. On a round table, it would be like a tire.

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The tables already have "some kind of" edging, but that isn't doing the job.

.

I was going to suggest rubber "t" moulding, but it will probably not work on plastic tops, but it would sure be worth trying on at least one. I fear that the tables are hollow if they are the ones I'm remembering. If you're just trying to get by, you may look into Roppe or similar rubber base strip glued on. I think there is a trim strip made at 1

1/2" and some careful masking and spray adhesive should make short work of it.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I don't know, but possibly. So that they won't be rolled as often?

.

I trust the replacement tables will be square...

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"HeyBub" wrote in news:t86dnRBu- KPTM4nSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Nah. Too hard to roll.

Seriously though, I've watched banquet suppliers fill rooms with round tables, and rolling them on their edges is exactly what they do to position them. These tables usually have vinyl edging on their perimeters. Plus, the tables are always covered with tablecloths once positioned and erected. The tablecloths hide the damaged edges of the tables, and also hide the flaking laminate and numerous scars on the tables' surfaces.

Reply to
Tegger

Yea, he was a longtime friend and I got on his butt about smoking so he hid his cigarettes from me, his wife, his sisters, and his daughters. He had already survived lung cancer and with only one lung was still sucking on those evil nicotine delivery devices. We had plans to do all sorts of things but he got the cure for smoking a bit too soon. :-(

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:xO2Rq.88370$ snipped-for-privacy@news.usenetserver.com:

Plastic tables with edging? That's a new one on me.

Can you get away with putting on tablecloths after the tables are in position?

Reply to
Tegger

Instead of putting something on can you take some of the surface off? Can you take the edge off with a jig saw then sand them down a bit. Or turn them down on a really big lathe!

Reply to
Tony Miklos

I've heard (from those who know) that coffin nails are more addictive than heroin. Most smokers start between the age of 8 and 12, when they think they will live forever.

I have one sibling, my sister had her first at age 8, and hasn't been able to quit, 35 years later. I was lucky, I was allergic, and never had even one.

.

Yea, he was a longtime friend and I got on his butt about smoking so he hid his cigarettes from me, his wife, his sisters, and his daughters. He had already survived lung cancer and with only one lung was still sucking on those evil nicotine delivery devices. We had plans to do all sorts of things but he got the cure for smoking a bit too soon. :-(

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Vinyl strip stapled to the edge.

Reply to
Attila.Iskander

That plastidip stuff looks fun. Have to do the edging out in the parking lot, and put down painters tarps. 25 tables to do.....

.

Edgemate edging is what you need, but it isn't super cheap. Master Mark Plastics sells a bunch of edging products but none as narrow as 1.5", but you could cut them.

Your best bet is to buy , mask the top of the table, and apply it to the edges. It will be much cheaper than any of the plastic edging products, and of course it is much better than duct tape.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, we already do that. Problem is, that the plastic is broken in a lot of places, and the sharp corners and edges are rough on peoples hands while rolling the tables.

.